Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Just make sure you don't introduce any diseases to your sorority!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

That would be the problem. I don't think he is diseased, though, just massively harassed. I didn't go to see him today as it was bucketing down rain when I left uni and I ride a scooter, so I was pretty wet.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #13 
thekoimaiden

Have you heard of the dwarf gourmi iridovirus (dwarf gourmi disease)? That would be my biggest worry. It often shows very little signs and can be transmitted to other fish. And I'm also just flat out paranoid about not quarantining fish after I had a fish lice disaster with my goldfish tank a few years ago. -shudders-
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #14 
Bombalurina

I have asked all the local fish shops if they have ever had a problem with iridovirus, and all but one have said no. They guy that did stopped selling DGs altogether, and all the other stock I've seen in the city have seemed healthy...it is a risk, though, since I know we get most of our fish from Asia.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

I think iridovirus is the thing that was going to grind the fish importation business to a halt in Australia last year.

We tend to be pretty stringent on quarantine, which is why it costs more to import things in.

If you put him in the sorority, AquaOne and other cheaper brands make breeder's nets that are around 4-5 litres. I have some bettas living in them and they work well.

Just give him a very thorough check-over. I recently had ich nearly wipe out an entire sorority so I now really go over any new arrivals with a fine-tooth comb.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

I know nothing about the requirements of other fish, but I would think the main priority for this fish would be to get it out of that other tank and into something where it can heal - even if it isnt the right size. After its feeling better then I would worry about the right size tank or rehomed. Then again this would explain why I have 2 bettas in storage containers and one living in a stolen veggie krisper Soon they will get a 10G
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote