Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 
aj927

Sick Betta

Looking for help diagnosing my fish. I was on vacation last week and when I came back, fish seemed fine. Changed his water 2 days ago and I noticed yesterday he was losing color. Today he is much paler and has no interest in eating. In a bowl with one plant, (philodendron) and I've had him for well over a year. He seems to be having trouble swimming, like it's an effort.

He is the office pet and everyone is freaking out! I would like to save him, so any help is appreciated.
aj927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #2 
aj927

Additional Info...

I just found the 'sick fish questions'. Here is more info:
Housing:
Approx. 1.5 liter bowl
Temp: unknown, it's in an office
No filter, no other aeration, no heat
As noted before, no mates except a plant

Food:
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
Amount? This is where it is tricky. I feed him every couple of days, 2-3 grains. However, because I was on vacation, I suspect he may have gotten more food despite my explicit instructions not to overfeed him.

Maintenance:
Water changes usually once a week
100% water change
Additive: Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus -- a few drops with each change
Water has not been tested.

Symptoms:
most of this is noted above. No history of any illness. Since I posted my question, I have moved him out of his bowl to a "hospital intensive care unit". It is a small square container, less water and I put warmer water in it.
His swimming is definitely lopsided, and it seems he is having trouble holding his weight...back end sinks fast and he struggles to stay vertical. However, he does seem to be coming to the surface more now in the smaller container.

The poor guy is really sick.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 
aj927

Nevermind...He has passed on. :(

However...I would still love the responses, in case my next little buddy starts exhibiting symptoms.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss......sadly when a Betta is kept long term in poor water quality, unknown temp with poor nutrition...it can shorten their longevity....

Most likely he suffered from long term- too cool water-being tropical species they need at least 76F and poor water quality-being in a half gallon or so container with limited water changes-even with the roots of a house plant to assist with ammonia removal-the DOC's can become toxic over time. Then being fed every couple of days-with possible overfeeding while gone-leaving leftover food-all this can compromise immune response that in turn can shorten longevity.....

Again sorry for your loss.....and good luck with your new Betta, you might want to look into getting at least a 1gal container so you can add a heater to maintain temp in the 76-80F range and by adding some aquatic plants can help with water quality for those long weekends and vacation away from the office-then get on a regular schedule of twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality and long term health.....

Hope to see pic of the new office Betta.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

uh... im not fish expert, but Im pretty sure philodendron is not an underwater plant... maybe it had something to do with that?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
aj927

Thanks for the information. We figured out that my Betta was over 2 years old when he died yesterday. For a fish in a bowl, that was a pretty good life span. Having said that, I don't think I will be getting another office pet...don't have the space for a big enough tank and all of the other equipment (and now that I know better, I have to do better!). My new fish friend will just have to be at home, in a 10 gallon estate, with a gourmet diet! --A note about the philodendron: The roots were in the water and the leaves extended out of the top of the bowl. Philodendrons do fine in a water environment and it provided a spot for my Betta to rest against the long stem. Again, thanks for the advice. This is a great website and now bookmarked on my computer. :)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a good plan and yes, philodendron are generally fine used in a fish tank as long as the leaves are not in the water....roots only.....I like to use weepy willow branches, lilac branch and I have even rooted a sweet potato in my tanks-great to help with high nutrients for algae control.....

Hope you will post some pic of you new Betta and setup.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease?, lethargic betta, pale