chrish

Help! White growth/enlarged eye!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Morning and night - 2-3 pellets each feeding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is much more lethargic; no energy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, Maracyn 1 and 2 and Tetracycline.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years.
--
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a strange white blob at the base of my betta's pectoral fin. He also started getting lethargic and swimming around less than before. I also noticed the eye on that side seemed to be enlarged, so I added a bit of aquarium salt and started him on a treatment of Maracyn and Maracyn Two. He didn't get any better or worse. His abdomen also seemed to be getting large, so I fasted him for 2 days and also fed him the inside of a pea. It's now been 2 weeks, and he doesn't seem to have changed. He is definitely "off", as he doesn't swim around much and generally hides in the tank. I've done a ton of reading and this doesn't seem to match up with anything. He doesn't have any pineconing, so I don't think it's Dropsy. He also doesn't seem to have any visible signs of fungus or external parasites.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Chris.
Attached Images

chrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well....

The white spot-google Lymphocystis and see if the pic match what your guy has...

The swollen eye-when it is just one eye-usually that is injury related and since he didn't respond to antibiotics I would start him on Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannins in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 77-78F range-be sure and attach the QT so it doesn't sink. (the small temporary cups/lid some Bettas are bought in work great for QT)

He needs to stay in the QT in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this steep for 30 min and use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-this will get him acclimated to the new chemistry.

Tomorrow start 50% water changes with the premixed treatment water daily for 3 days-On day 4 make 100%...repeat this schedule for 14 days....then re-acclimate back to the tank water after a 50% water change on the tank.

You also need to increase the regular water changes on the 5gal filtered tank to 50% weekly to help prevent issues and maintain water quality.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month to maintain flow.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote