Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
mathkid

ID these algae (pics): reddish-brown patches, white/red fuzz

Algae 1:
Dark patches that show up on top of my Pennywort leaves. I can rub them off a little, but not entirely - the parts "deepest" in the leaves sticks.

Algae 2: In the pictures it looks like white fuzz, but from above it looks like reddish-brown fuzz.

I have a 5-gallon tank, heated at 79*. Light is a Sylvania 6500K 13W bulb, on for about 10hrs/day. I do 50% water changes 1x/week. The tank is home to one betta (though right now he is floating in quarantine). I dose with Flourish 1x/week (day after water change). I have a Red Sea Nano filter whose sponges I clean by swishing in the old water during water changes. I have taped brown paper over the filter because green algae was growing in the tubes... I haven't figured out how to clean the tubes yet; I suppose I need to go buy a pipe cleaner. There's also a light dusting of brown on the inside of the filter chamber... diatoms?

How do I get rid of these algae?
Attached Images

mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Shrimp may be able to help you here, either Amano or cherry. Mine seem to love that fuzz. Other than that, reducing your photoperiod may help.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 
mathkid

Thanks Bombalurina!

I got a $5 timer from Home Depot, so the tank is now set to 8 hours a day in 4-hour chunks. I also cleared out the algae that had been colonizing my filter... let's see how this goes.

-mathkid
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae