Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #1 
OMGemily

Exclamation Is he sick?!??

Im not sure if my fish is sick or not... below is all the information recommended and all that i can think to offer... please help me! i love my fish and i want to save him if hes sick...

Housing
What size is your tank?
5.5 gallons (about 22 Liters)
What temperature is your tank? my thermometer is at 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes but the current is too strong for my betta so i tend to keep it off most of the time
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? non

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Ive tried pellets and flakes but he seems to like the flakes better
How often do you feed your betta fish? i try to feed him twice a day but in the past 4 days he only ate yesterday. and still spat some of it back out

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
i just put him in his larger tank 2 days ago and he was only in his smaller tank for 2 days but i was told to change it once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? i was told 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? i have a dechlorinator with trace elements specifically for bettas

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
i havent tested the water

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
i noticed white spots in his eyes yesterday but i dont see them today. as i said ive only had him for 4 days so i cant note many changes but i think his eyes may be a bit cloudy and i cant tell because he wont flare today but i think the tips of his caudal fin are changing colors. its hard for me to tell if theyre rotting since hes a crown tail and im not very experienced
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasnt changed much because i just got him. he doesnt move very much and im often afraid hes dead. he still swims around a little but sometimes i see him floating vertically at the top gasping for air with bubbles coming out of his gills (which lie pretty flat but theyre out enough that i can see a tiny bit of his stuff underneath that used to puff out when he saw his reflection) and then he lets himself sink to the bottom until he touches the rocks and then he swims to the top and repeats
When did you start noticing the symptoms? hes always been a little lethargic. i thought it was because i didnt have a heater, but now i do and if anything i think it may have gotten worse. the cloudy eyes/white spot was yesterday but not today, and the floating vertically and sinking was just today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, i asked my mom to get melafix which i was told fixes cloudy eye but she got something for ick which i see no reason to suspect he has
Does your fish have any history of being ill? i dont know
How old is your fish (approximately)? i just bought him and i read that generally they are sold at 6 months old
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

I can't help much since I'm not an expert, but don't buy the Melafix. It contains tea tree oil which can harm a bettas labyrinth organ. They breathe with it, and even though they have gills to help, they'll suffocate without the labyrinth. Bettafix is a scam too, so don't buy it. It is just Melafix diluted so it's 20% the strength of Melafix. The instructions for bettafix have you use 5 times more bettafix than the amount of melafix you use in a dose of melafix. So you are giving your fish the same exact amount of tea tree oil(the active ingredient in both bettafix and melafix) in a dose of bettafix as in a dose of melafix. Some people use a fifth of the dosage for melafix and their bettas are ok, but I think it is better not to take the risk. Sorry I can't help any more.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 
OMGemily

it doesnt matter anymore... he died...
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote