Betta Fish Forum banner

Treating torn fins?

701 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MyRainbowBettaFish 
#1 ·
I just started a sorority last week, 7 females in a 26-gal tank (along with 5 cories). They all went at each other's fins in the beginning and now they all have varying degrees of fin damage. They don't seem to be showing any signs of illness.

What's the best way to promote healing and prevent such things as fin rot? Currently I'm trying to keep the water as clean as possible by doing partial water changes every second day and testing the water. I also have a couple of large IAL leaves in the water. Any other suggestions?

#3 ·
I wouldn't go with aquarium salt in a community tank, especially not with torn fins D: you don't know how the other fish will react to it.

Just keeping the water clean will help with growth. Maybe even adding a bit of stress coat.

#4 ·
I don't bother with salt with something as common as torn fins... In sororities expect torn fins. Always. If you were to treat with salt every time someone had a torn fin, they'd suffer. I have one female who has torn fins again, and I just do normal water changes. I never have rot appear.

#5 ·
Clean water, feed high protein diet and use some stress coat. Water temp at like 80 helps out too.

Other than that you can try more hiding places and decorations to make chasing harder and hiding easier.

With my sister's sorority, we keep them fat and in breeding condition constantly so they heal up nice and quick. Since everyone has full tummies for most of the time no one is really too interested in duking it out. At most we get the odd flare match for stare down, but the alpha puts a stop to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.