Betta Fish Forum banner

Divided tank?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dipsydoodlenoodle 
#1 ·
I’m contemplating making a divided tank, but I am wondering where would I put the heater? Would I put the heater in one half or would I get a small heater for each side?

#2 ·
It's completely up to you. If you have flow-through of the water between the two halves, and you probably do, the heat will be distributed somewhat. Two small heaters will improve the likelihood that both halves will be heated equally, but may also wind up being too much wattage for the size of your aquarium.

I think you should go ahead and do what you think is the best option. If you go with two heaters, let us know how well it works. You may just wind up creating a new standard! :)

#3 ·
If you are talking a mesh divider that allows the water to flow through you would only need one heater, even if it is a big tank I am assuming the heater you have would be powerful enough to heat the water. I have always put my heaters vertical rather than diagonal and it has always heated the entire tank. The filter generally (always in my case) moves the water enough so that it heats the entire tank.

Few Questions:

What size tank are we talking about?
What type of divider?
What are you doing for the filter? Is it going to be an underground one so it gets both sides of the tank so it gets solid waste?

Good luck :)

#4 ·
Few Questions:

What size tank are we talking about?
What type of divider?
What are you doing for the filter? Is it going to be an underground one so it gets both sides of the tank so it gets solid waste?

Good luck :)
For one I don't have a tank, it's just quesitons.

I do have an old 2foot tank in the garage and I was wondering about converting that into a divider.

Ad for what type of divider I have no idea, I'd have to look and see what is available if/when I decide on the tank.

As for the filter I had thought about two little ones on either side of the tank...but again it's all just thoughts at the moment.

#6 ·
It's hard to say what to suggest without knowing what you are working with. The heater, as long as the water is flowing should be fine, and if you are in a warm climate anyway or keep your house warm it'll probably hardly ever be used anyway.

I'm not sure about the two filters unless they are rather subtle it may bother the bettas. Most don't like water current, I say most because 2 out of the 3 I have had out of my house actually seemed to enjoy it and with swim directly under the water where it came out despite the rest of the 44 gallon tank having hardly any current.

Not being sure off all the measurements of your tank it's hard to say how big it it, but have you thought of maybe just having one betta in it as well as some community fish that are peaceful and that won't entice the betta to attack it? I'm not trying to discourage or anything, just offering ideas.

#8 ·
Not being sure off all the measurements of your tank it's hard to say how big it it, but have you thought of maybe just having one betta in it as well as some community fish that are peaceful and that won't entice the betta to attack it? I'm not trying to discourage or anything, just offering ideas.
I have yes, I'm just toying with all of the ideas at the moment. I was just wondering what I'd need for a split tank. Before making any decisions.

#7 ·
My current divided set up:

I have the Walmart 2-15 heater. It keeps both sides warm perfectly - I think the heater must be warm enough to heat the entire tank, and the divider is not a simply *BAM* flat piece of glass that allows no movement at all.

I have a DIY Sponge Filter one on side, and the filter that actually came with the tank on the other. THe sponge filter took $5 to make, although I already had a pump. So it may cost $10-15 to make. The two-filters is your choice...I just slept better knowing they would both be cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.