Betta Fish Forum banner

My Aquarium .. Help/Critique

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Katmassive 
#1 ·
It came in the mail today TG for 2-day shipping ..

Aquarium by Katmassive, on Flickr

So here are my thoughts ..

1) Might have to much water

2) Should turn the lights off at night

3) i have a 50 watt heater coming in the mail but i cant find a decent thermometer to save my life

4) the tank has a filter but i dont understand cycling so ive gathered something along the lines of 25% - 50% water change every week??

5) Ive tested the water for ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite

For the most part he is a happy camper today he might think hes a ninja hiding and blending in and stuff lmao..

See less See more
#2 ·
That's an interesting looking tank. Do you have pictures of it with normal lighting?

In regards to water changing, check out this excellent post here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

In regards to cycling, something I myself am just venturing into, this has proven incredibly informative. :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Since you've already put the Betta in the tank, you're probably going to have to do a couple water changes a week to protect him from ammonia while the bacteria builds up. How many gallons is this tank?

#4 ·
Told you you'd be giving advice in now time, LoriKeet! ;) :p

It came in the mail today TG for 2-day shipping ..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77016911@N06/8454164695/
So here are my thoughts ..

1) Might have to much water
As long as there is a gap at the top for the betta to breathe, it's ok. :)

2) Should turn the lights off at night
I would agree. You could leave the nightlight on for maybe half an hour after turning the day light off so that you could still have that display, but turn it off when you go to sleep. :)

3) i have a 50 watt heater coming in the mail but i cant find a decent thermometer to save my life
No simple glass thermometers in the pet shop that go inside the tank?

4) the tank has a filter but i dont understand cycling so ive gathered something along the lines of 25% - 50% water change every week??
Cycling in a nutshell: putting good bacteria in the filter which will eat the bad bacteria. This is done by building up a certain amount of bad bacteria, which causes good bacteria to come and eat them. The good bacteria poops the bad bacteria back out as less-bad bacteria. These are removed through water changes. :)
As LoriKeet says, if your fish is already in the tank, do multiple partial changes. The aim of these is to keep the levels of bad bacteria safe for the fish whilst leaving enoug to cause good bacteria to appear. Warning: cycling a tank under 5 gallons is a pain.
A water conditioner which converts ammonia to ammonium, like Prime, is a good idea to help the fish through the cycle. :)

5) Ive tested the water for ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite
Excellent. Keep doing this daily. :) When you are getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-60 nitrate, the tank is cycled.

For the most part he is a happy camper today he might think hes a ninja hiding and blending in and stuff lmao..
All in all, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with him. I would suggest a couple more plants or hiding places for him if you can, though. You may also want to consider baffling the filter. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.