Betta Fish Forum banner

First-time betta owner, I'd really appreciate some help!

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  stripedsocks 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm Em. :) So I've had my yellow betta fish Pierre for almost a year now but I don't think I've ever been a spectacular fish owner. I really try to make him happy and healthy but nothing I do seems to go exactly right, so I'd really appreciate some advice.

So right now Pierre has a 5-gallon tank, with gravel, a tall plant and a short plant (both silk), and a little pineapple house (like the one from Spongebob). It also has a thermometer, heater, and a filter. (it's a 3-gallon filter tho because I tried a 5 gallon one and it almost sucked Pierre right up) The water is about 78 degrees and has water conditioner and aquarium salt added.

Basically I've had two main problems:
1. The water is ALWAYS cloudy, even if a little. I did 50% water changes every week but it was still really dirty, so then I did a total 100% water change and added the filter a while ago but it's still kind of cloudy. I just want it to be nice and clear and clean.

2. Pierre is always angry/unhappy, at least I think he is. He's always at the bottom of his tank except when he comes up for air, and whenever I get near the tank he gets really mad and looks like he's trying to attack me. (except when I give him food, he eats fine) Is it that he's just aggressive by nature?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forums! You sound like you've been a very good fish owner - Pierre has all the right things to be happy :)

1. Is your tank close to a window? Cloudy water sounds a bit like algae bloom.

2. He's not angry, lol. That's the wiggle dance! He sees you and thinks "Ohboyohboyohboy ima gonna get feds! :O" It's a good thing! As for hanging around the bottom, have you changed the decor up a bit? Sometimes they can get bored so a little change of scenery can help :)

#3 ·
HEY welcome to the forums ^_^
It sounds like you are doing your best by him ^_^. I can't help you with the cloudy water sorry, but one thing I can help you with is. Don't put AQ salts in with the water changes. They are good for the first time into the tank water and then only use them to clean products per directions or in a hospital tank/ qt. Long term AQ salt treatment can lead to other health problems and resistant to it when actually used as medicine. Or so I have been told by other members.

As Fishcurl said he is happy to see you. All my boys come up the surface and beg me for more noms that they don't need. Bettas are notorious for begging for food like they are starving even if they just ate.

If he was unhappy his fins would be clinched up and he wouldn't look right at all.

#4 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. <3

To Fishcurl - Yes his tank is sort of next to a window, would it help if I just blocked the tank from the window? It's just that there's nowhere else I can put it.

To Amphibianite - Well I have added AQ salt because the top half of his tail is pretty much gone and I thought it was from being sick or something :/ (although it hasn't really helped) I tried this blue medicine stuff also but it didn't help his tail either.

And I'm so glad to hear that he's actually just happy to see me, all this time I thought he just hated me and I was a terrible fish parent. XD That's a relief.

#5 ·
AAAH okay you are using if for actual med purposes. You are not supposed to have them in salt water treatment more than 10 days at a time I believe. Try feeding him a high protien diet, live and frozen foods, do daily water changes, and use some stress coating. From what I have read those help. I would also suggesting PMing Old Fish Lady she is a resident expert on all things betta.

Oh and feel free to come by the thread I have no self control :p we are a lot of fun Fastest growing thread on the site last i heard XD

#6 ·
Um, is there maybe a thread about a high protein diet or live/frozen foods? I don't have any experience with anything besides pellets XD I really would like to see his tail grow back.

I was just looking through that thread! I really liked it lol, it definitely had me smiling. :p

#7 ·
There isnt exactly a thread on that, that I know of.
Here is what I do know. Frozen - blood worms, brine shrimp, beef hearts, daphine, black worms. There are some others too. Most pet stores will have a fridge/freezer you can get those in. They come in nice little cubes.
you can also buy live blood worms, as well as brine shrimp/bring shrimp starters (sea monkies :p) also mosquito larva are great as well.

Haha yeah we are a bunch of characters who have way too much fun in that thread lol

#9 ·
For fin regrowth I would say 1 meal 3 times a week. Depends on how often you feed your betta. I give mine a few pellets in the morning and a few at night before bed.
Honestly I am no expert. I would PM OLF (Old Fish Lady) and ask her advice. She will know far more than me. Also Sakura when she come on will know more too. I am still a noobie myself :p I am only in my 2nd week of beta keeping I think. lol

#13 ·
Do you put in dechlorinator right before you change his water/ I suggest putting in less water conditioner then suggested and letting the water sit for a few days. Cloudy tanks usually happen to me because I put the conditioner in a few minutes before I introduce the fish (which is really, really bad LOL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.