Betta Fish Forum banner

What kind of Betta do I have?

714 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and new to keeping fish, learning every day. This is Julian :) Not sure what kind he is...
I've had him just over a week now. He seems pretty chilled. I added new fish today and a new plant, this seems to have livened him up a bit...not sure if that's a good thing..I don't know much about fish but I'm learning and hopefully you all can keep me on the right track :-D

See less See more
#3 ·
Heated and filtered. 45 litre. 3 neons, 3 rummy noses, 2 golden barbs, 2 harlequins, one guppy and a teeny tiny nano shrimp. You'll see in the thread about Bettas and guppies I'm going to sort out probably separating him from the other fish. I'm terrified he's gonna attack the guppy or something I'm on edge. Or maybe give the guppy to my parents, they have a tank with a couple in already. We shall see!

#10 ·
Your neons will grow to a little bigger than an inch so that's 3 gallons your betta will need about 2.5 gallons your rummy nose tetra will grow to about 2 Inches so thats 6 gallons you need then your golden barbs can get to two or 3 inches so about another 5 gallons give or take a gallon and your harlequins will get up to about 2 inches so another 4 gallons. So you need a total of about a 22 gallon or 84 liter tank for all of them. Even if it was 1.5 inch of fish per gallon your still way over stocked

#13 ·
Forget the inch per gallon rule, it is outdated and doesn't take many things, such as bioload and territorial behaviours, into account. You can apply it to neon tetras, I suppose, but that's about it. For instance, by the inch rule you could fit a ten-inch goldfish in a ten gallon tank (you couldn't), yet only have two or three kuhli loaches (when you can actually have 5).

However, there is a bit of a problem with your stocking.
"3 neons, 3 rummy noses, 2 golden barbs, 2 harlequins, one guppy and a teeny tiny nano shrimp".

All of the fish except your guppy are schooling fish and need groups of 6 or more to be content. In smaller groups, they will be more stressed and therefore be more likely to get six. To properly provide a school for each of your fish, you are looking at a good 100+ litres.
I strongly recommend rehoming 4 of those schooling groups and just focussing on one - either the rasboras (assuming they are harlequins, not scissortails or something) or the neons would be my choice for a 45 litre tank. The others are larger, and the rummies are more delicate. 6 neons and 3 guppies (yes, they like groups too!) would stock you nicely. :)

And to confirm the answer to your original question, your betta is indeed a red veiltail. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.