Betta Fish Forum banner

To rescue or not

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  MoonShadow 
#1 ·
Some folks like to "rescue" bettas and try to make a difference for that one life.

There are different opinions on the economics of helping, rescueing, or making a sympathy purchase. Let me ask that we as Betta lovers not be so judgmental of those who would like to try and save a life in whatever way they choose. I am one who knows that I cannot change the world but I can do what I can.

That being said, I do "rescue" occasionally --now even the manager at my local Petsmart has asked me to help with a desperate case (that is in another post). I have had some successes and some failures. Also, whenever I can I try to educate purchasers: when I see someone purchasing one of those decorator bowl, I nicely try to educate them on the needs of the betta -- buy at least a gallon container. ( I have even had one purchasers accept my advise and purchase a 2.5 gal set-up).

So in closing to my plea:

Let's be understanding Betta supporters and know that some of us are doing "what we can" in a situation that is not the best!!!

#2 ·
Yes educating future Betta owners because future purchases do not end up in bowls or when it dies early and yours is alive they know you are right. You are right sympathy purchases are okay it is only a rescue if it is free.

#5 ·
Well, technically a rescue isn't even free. You pay an adoption fee, unless you like...stole the animal out of someone's home or whatever.

I don't know about other users, but I understand what people are saying about "rescuing" bettas. While some get the fish for free, others don't. I consider my first betta a rescue. Coming from Walmart with no tail and other issues (I WISH I took pictures of him to show you guys...) but he wasn't free. Partly because I didn't care what it took, and partly because the employees there are ignorant and wouldn't give him to me for free anyway.

I suppose rescuing means different things to different people. As long as the betta is happy and in good conditions I don't give a rats rear how you acquired them. :)

#7 ·
Well, technically a rescue isn't even free. You pay an adoption fee, unless you like...stole the animal out of someone's home or whatever.
The difference between paying a pet store and an adoption fee to a rescue agency is that when you pay a pet store, you are supporting the very place that you feel abused the animal/fish. An adoption fee is supporting an organization dedicated to rescuing and caring for animals/fish. That money enables them to continue doing their good work.

However, while I am not of the belief that buying a fish is rescuing it, I don't judge those who do. That fact is, those people truely do it because they care so much about the fish and I could never be mad at someone who has a kind heart and good intensions.

So I would not do it but I will not judge others for doing it :)

#8 ·
e difference between paying a pet store and an adoption fee to a rescue agency is that when you pay a pet store, you are supporting the very place that you feel abused the animal/fish. An adoption fee is supporting an organization dedicated to rescuing and caring for animals/fish. That money enables them to continue doing their good work.
Yeah but there are some that spend the majority of their money on paying salaries and not so much on animals - didn't the humane society get into trouble for this recently? And don't even get me started on PETA...

Personally I feel that taking something from a bad situation and giving it a good home is way more important then arguing with some idiot at petco to try and get the fish for free. Plus there is always the possibility they will pull their "we dont sell sick fish" speel and not even let me buy the fish. However, there is a limit to how much I am willing to pay...

Reactions: dramaqueen
#10 ·
How is this statement evidence of a bad mood?

It is being very truthful in my opinion. It is often difficult for any person to know the motivations that drive their own behaviors much less anyone else's.

I hope you feel happier today and every day of your life!

#14 ·
This reminds me of a story (yay story time)

There was a little boy walking on the beach at low tide. He went along picking up a beached starfish and tossing them back into the water, the beach was littered with them. But he kept at it, picking one up, and tossing it back, and picking up another.

An older man approached the boy and asked him why he even bothered, there was no way he could save them all. It really didn't matter if he saved a few here and there.

The little boy looked up at the man, with a starfish in his hand, he tossed it back into the ocean and replied "It mattered to that one."

The point here is, we can't change the world in a night, but we can help these fish/cats/dogs/lizards when we come across them and plead with the stores to properly take care of their animals. If you bug them every time they see you (and they see me A LOT) the conditions change. It will not happen over night, but they do change. In the mean time, we do what we can, however we can. It may be with volunteer time, donations, making a huge fuss, making a forum for people to learn from, or buying that $3 betta on the verge of death. To each their own, as long as we are all helping out, things can't help but get better.

#17 ·
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about things, everyone has their own way of doing things and there is nothing wrong with that! I personally believe that it's not a true rescue if you are putting money in the pockets of the companies that are treating the fish so poorly in the first place, but that's my personal opinion.

To all of the wonderful people out there that buy bettas that are in bad shape just to give them a second chance at life, good for you! And I admire each and every one of you!

It all comes down to the fact that we love these fish and we want to do what we can for them, whether it means taking home one fish and saving it's life, or trying to take on a major chain store, we do this because we care! Big hugs for everyone!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.