Betta Fish Forum banner

Chronic SBD

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
My fish Ira has had an on and off again SBD situation for over 2 weeks now. I started him out with a 3 day fast then a light daphnia diet with periodic salt baths. After the fast and 3 days of the daphnia he seemed to be recovering and I began him on a 3 pellets per day diet split into 2 different feedings.

The SBD came back.

This time I tried an alternating diet with small feedings. Two flakes AM, one pellet PM, one bloodworm AM, two flakes PM along with salt baths. This eventually worked and when he seemed to be swimming normally again I skipped his PM meal to make sure he was all cleared out. After the next morning feeding of 1 pellet the SBD was back.

This last time I fasted him for nearly 72 hours and gave him 2 segments of cooked shelled pea... probably the equivalent of 2 pellets. After the feeding I waited another 24 hours. There were feces in the bottom of the tank but the SBD was still present... so I gave him one more pea meal in the middle of the day... that was yesterday. I woke up this morning to leave for work and he was swimming around regularly. Following my finger down to the bottom of the tank and he was able to remaing there with out floating back up. I gave him one betta flace about the size of a pin head.

I came home today roughly 10 hours after the flake feeding to find him floating on his side again.

Am I doing something wrong in these treatments?

See less See more
#3 ·
I really don't know that there's much you can do. I have a fish that has the same problem. He eats good but he spends most of his time floating on his side. I've medicated and fed him daphnia and nothing helps. I stopped feeding mine freeze dried bloodworms to see if that helped but it didn't. SBD isn't painful for them so he's not suffering from it. He just can't get to the bottom. You might want to lower the water level so he can get from the bottom to the top easier. I wish I could be of more help to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.