Betta Fish Forum banner

Would anyone be interested in doing a quick survey for me? Its for school :)

3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Felessan 
#1 ·
This probably looks and sounds dumb, but I'm doing a little project for some school work on bettas/fish keeping and I need to survey some people. I didn't know where else to put this, I hope this is allowed! If you don't mind sparing a minute of your time, would any of you mind filling this quick survey out?
Thanks~!

1. When did you first get interested in owning fish?

2. What made you interested in Bettas?

3. What kind of fish do you keep?

4. What size tanks do you keep them in?

5. How many tanks do you have?

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites?

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks?

8. Have you ever bred your fish?

9. How much time do you spend on your fish?

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish?

Thank youuuu! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? They are beautiful and actually have personalities!

2. What made you interested in Bettas? I have had bettas since I was little, and it is very rewarding taking care of them.

3. What kind of fish do you keep? Bettas

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? two 2 gallons, a 3 gallon and a divided 10 gallon

5. How many tanks do you have? 4

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? Halfmoon and Crowntail

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? Weekly water changes, cleaning the tank, cycling, feeding ect.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? No, maybe a few years down the road I will.

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? Cleaning wise, a few hours a week.

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? Do your research first!

#3 · (Edited)
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? From age seven.

2. What made you interested in Bettas? My dad took care of his own fish, I was fascinated by them, and wanted a fish of my own. I chose a betta and from then on was hooked!

3. What kind of fish do you keep? Bettas

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? 2 gallons, 2.5 gallons, 5 gallons

5. How many tanks do you have? Eight

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? Plakats, Halfmoon plakats and Veiltails

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? Proper feeding and nutrition, cleaning out an aquarium as often as I need to, cycling, etc.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? This summer I am going to.

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? 1-2 hours a day

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? Do your research and have fun!

#4 ·
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? I always had a fish tank set up, whether it be Salt water or Freshwater.

2. What made you interested in Bettas? I wanted a single fish that would do great by himself.

3. What kind of fish do you keep? Bettas, Gourami, Cichlids, Livebearers, and Saltwater

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? I have 1 gallons, 6 gallon, 20 gallon long, 29 gallon, 55 Gallon, 2.5 gallon, 2 gallon, 1.5 gallon, divided 10 gallon, and 10 gallon divided 3 ways.

5. How many tanks do you have? 14

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? Veiltail, Halfmoon, and Over Halfmoon

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? Proper feeding, Cleaning, Monitoring, etc.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? No, I am hoping to try my hand at breeding.

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? 2-5 hours, that includes cleaning and spending time.

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? Research before you buy, and just have fun with it.

#5 ·
When I was younger.

I got a betta fish named Cosmo and he was a very happy fish. Ever since then I have always loved bettas!

Bettas

A 2.5 Gallon and a 1 Gallon.

Veiltails and Crowntails.

Clean, Feed, and Love Them!

No.

2-4 Hours. Sometimes 3-5 depending on when I clean them.

Reaserch Before Buying! That's the golden Rule!

#6 ·
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? I had my first goldfish when I was 8 and I've been interested ever since.

2. What made you interested in Bettas? Their beauty and their spunk

3. What kind of fish do you keep? I keep bettas and a dwarf pufferfish.

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? I have a 10 gallon, a 16 gallon, a 6 gallon and a 5 gallon.

5. How many tanks do you have? 4

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? Plakats

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? I change the water weekly and siphon vacuum weekly too. I change the filter cartridges about every two months.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? No

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? Maybe 3 hours a week?

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? Change your water religiously. Make a schedule and stick to it no matter what. If I'd done that when I was younger, a lot less fish would have suffered.

#7 ·

Easy taking care of.

Older bettas I had. ( I didn't know they were bettas at that time! )

Betta Only.

1/4 gallon?

One.

White VTs'!

I change water every 3 days to keep from getting germs. Feed them in the morning and night. And give them lots of attention!

I prefer not. You can have 50-300 babies! You need a LOT more tanks!

3/4 of the day.

Change the water at least 2 times a week. Give them lots of attention. And research before you pick which fish!

#8 ·
My bf bought me a 45 gal tank for Christmas 2007

2. What made you interested in Bettas? How beautiful they are and thier personalities

3. What kind of fish do you keep? Boesmani rainbows, tetras, cories, bettas, green tiger barbs

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? 75 gallon community tank and all 6 bettas are in 2.5 gallon tanks

5. How many tanks do you have? 7

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? All of them. I can't pick a type thats a fav. (sorry)

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? Weekly water changes and varied diet including frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia

8. Have you ever bred your fish? No

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? My bf will tell you it's too much LOL. Seriously I try to give them some attention each day but spend at least 4-5 hours each week on maintenance/water changes

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? Do not attempt fishkeeping unless you make the commitment to keep them healthy and are willing to put in the time to care for them properly. And plan to spend some serious cash if you have multiple tanks.

#9 · (Edited)
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? When I was really young. We used to keep bettas, goldfish, tadpoles, newts, etc.

2. What made you interested in Bettas? Their personalities, and the fact that no two are the same.

3. What kind of fish do you keep? At the moment only bettas!

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? For now they all have 1 gallon tanks. Once this move eventually happens we're going to have some upgrading going on. :)

5. How many tanks do you have? 5

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? Partial to VTs but after getting my newest betta I'm starting to like CT's a bit more.

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? one 100% water change once a week, 50% 2 or 3 times a week. fed twice a day, all the attention they want at night.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? noooo no no. Not ready to be a grandma. :)

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? My schedule is based around them sometimes... It's definitely worth it to see them healthy and happy.

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? DO YOUR RESEARCH. It's depressing how many bettas you see in terrible conditions. Before you buy, make sure you have the time and the space for one of these guys. They say they're low maintenance but anyone on this forum will tell you otherwise!

#11 · (Edited)
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? My dad owns a business in which fish are very important, and I've always loved the little goldfish my sister kept when we were little.

2. What made you interested in Bettas? A few months back, my little brother got a betta fish, and I wanted to figure out how to properly care for him.

3. What kind of fish do you keep? Well, there are the koi and goldfish in the backyard pond, and koi and talapia in the business pond and tanks, and I've got my betta.

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? My betta is in a 1/2 gallon tank, but I'm working on getting him into a 10 gallon cycled tank soon. Some of the koi and talapia are in 20 gallon tanks (they're tiny now, when they grow, they're going into our ponds. The larger koi and talapia are in ponds, and the koi and goldfish in my backyard are in a small oriental koi pond.

5. How many tanks do you have? Erm. seven tanks, plus the ponds. at home, two tanks and one pond.

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? crowntails and halfmoons. But, I love them all

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? All the tanks apart from my betta's are like this : http://www.earthsolutions.com/Aquaponics-and-Gardening_c_303.html so, I do nothing but feed the fish, the plants do the cleaning. The ponds are like that on a much larger scale. I clean my 1/2 gallon tank completely once daily and feed my betta twice daily.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? No, it sounds fun, and I'd do it if I had good fish to breed, but I don't.

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? I'm constantly staring at my betta, and I spend several hours each day by the ponds and tanks at work, making sure the fish are healthy and getting them used to people.

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? Research before you decide to get a fish, what may seem like an easy to care for fish could probably be very hard to care for. If you do this, you'll be saving a fish's life :)

#12 ·
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? Ever since I can remember I loved fish. Got my first fish when I was about 7. They all died not surprisingly...

2. What made you interested in Bettas? I had a fish bowl that I thought was appropriate, so I got a betta.

3. What kind of fish do you keep? Mostly bettas. My total betta count ranges from 11-15 at any one time.. Although I do have lots of pond goldfish and I plan on getting a whole community of ADFs soon. :)

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? No smaller then 2g (Other then my special needs boy, he's in a 1g)

5. How many tanks do you have? It varies. The most I've had is 10..

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? Double tails and Halfmoon Plakats.

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks? Once weekly water changes on the big tanks and twice to three times weekly on the little tanks.

8. Have you ever bred your fish? Yes. The male at the eggs though. I plan on breeding sometime, I just have to get better stock.

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? A LOT!! Probably about 5-7 hours a week.

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? As has been said a lot, DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE you get your fish!!!! Also, don't rush anything. Rushing into something is one of the worst things in fishkeeping. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed also. Know your limit to how many tanks and fish you can have.

#13 ·
about 7 years ago :) i used to have guppies and gold fish and got my first betta when i was 16 (5 years ago)

saw one in the pet shop, got him and was captured. researched about them and addicted ever since. coincidence i found them really.

just the betta and 2x cory cats :)

males = divided 32g
females = sorority 30g

just the 2 large ones, plus 1 quarentine tank.

halfmoon and plakats, all colors really. the rarer the better though

everything lol.
day to day; wash off algae, vaccum gravel, partial water changes.

now and again; full cleans and water changes

not yet...

daily; id say about 1 hour. maybe less depending on my time

extensive research and prepared to invest in medicine etc when needed. no point getting fish if you cant buy meds or food. fish are NOT cheap animals if cared for properly!

:)

#14 ·
When my dad agreed that me and my siblings could each get a small pet.

My neighbors owned one, and it looked so cool.

Just one betta, but I used to have angelfish.

Starter kit tank (.5 gallon), and the angelfish was in a 10 gallon.

Two.

Halfmoon bettas, definetely.

Feed twice a day, 100% water change every 2-4 days.

No.

The two feedings every day(3 min each), and sometimes I play around with him and put a mirror in the tank 1-5 each week (5 min).

Be prepared before you get it, do research, and know the diseases and symptoms.

#15 ·
1. When did you first get interested in owning fish? 3 yrs old

2. What made you interested in Bettas?they were "easy" (wrong!!!!)

3. What kind of fish do you keep?Bettas

4. What size tanks do you keep them in? 3 gal 2.5 gal

5. How many tanks do you have? 3

6. What kinds of Bettas are your favourites? halfmoon dts, veil tails

7. What do you do to maintain your fish and their tanks?feed them clean there bowls spoil them with decorashions and expensive food

8. Have you ever bred your fish? no but i want to

9. How much time do you spend on your fish? 10 min-5hrs a day

10. What advice would you give people who might like to start keeping fish? keep a close eye on them have emergency supplys ready!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.