Betta Fish Forum banner

breeding methods

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
I just bought my first pair of HMPK bettas from Thailand. They are lovely whites, my absolute favorite color. I am wanting to breed this pair in a while when they settle in.

I would like to know, what are some of everyones methods for breeding they have done with tried and true success?

Also microworms for the fry, anyone have opinions about this?

All suggestions and opinions greatly appreciated...:-D

#3 ·
I used a 5 gallon and had success, well as much as I could (dad chased the mom away too soon). I have a few live plants in there with Indian Almond Leaves and my pair started spawning within an hour of being released together. At the moment I only have one little fry (would have more if Walter didn't chase Velvet away) and he's doing fine in the tank. I definitely recommend microworms, their super easy to culture and harvest, alolng with being small enough for tiny mouths. Also just learned you can store them in the fridge for a month and they'll lay dormant until you take them out. definitely have live plants! they create little micro organisms that your fry can eat in the super early stages. Also make sure there isn't a substrate in the bottom of the spawn tank, the eggs will disappear into the gravel and wont hatch :( If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I love helping!!

#4 ·
Thank you for that help Ivandert so nice of your to offer your help and what has worked for you.

I have all my bettas in bare bottom tanks anyways so that is not problem. I have tried before to breed but was not successful but now I have a bit more knowledge and I love to know what works for others as well.

I to am going to use a 5 gal, heater, thermometer, liveplants, hiding spot, betta spa (love this stuff over the leaves) for female, jar to hold her before release, sponge filter ready to go but not on till they are free swimming.

I just have to order some microworm culture. I am going to place my order for that soon so I have it before hand.

Few Questions:

Do you use a sponge filter for the fry when free swimming?

What are some of the foods you feed?

I am just trying to track down where exactly this pair came from. The lady whom I bought them from is not being so honest I have found...:-(

#5 ·
Not a problem, Like I said I love to help. I have my sponge filter on now. I turned it on when I first put the male in that way he can get used to the occasional bubble that pops up and it wont distract him later. I have three different foods for the adults; freeze dried blood worms, pellets and crisps. I try to give them a bit of diversity regardless of conditioning or not. For the babies I have live microworms, frozen baby brine shrimp and hikari first bites newborn pellet/flake. I am currently using pet store fish to breed, I don't have the money to buy breeding pairs (poor-ish college student). I'm hoping to order a decent female this summer though. I really want a dragon scale babies their just so cute!

#6 ·
I use a 10 gallon bare tank with a 50 watt heater, some sort of styrofoam, IAL, live plants (duckweed and anacharis), a cave, a small corner filter gently bubbling, room light, and plastic wrap on the top to keep in humidity.

For my other spawns I use a 4 gallon plastic tubs, 50 watter submersible heater, live plants (same as above), lots of IAL, and styrofoam.

I have spawns almost always in both set ups when the fish are ready.

#7 ·
I'm sorry to intrude but freeze dried bloodworms are bad stuff for bettas. They will cause constipation and have little nutritional value, frozen bloodworms are so much better.

Also, frozen bbs are not good for young fry. Only good when they are a few weeks old because they might not eat it. You want to get hatching brine shrimp eggs and setup a hatchery to feed live bbs. It's the best stuff out there for fry and will get the little guys growing like crazy.

I only use microworms as a backup food in case a bbs batch goes bad and when older I use decap bbs, much better than crushed flakes.

It's better not to have the sponge filter in the tank until you remove the male and the fry are free-swimming. The movement of the water might disturb the male, make him think it's an unsafe enviroment and encourage him to eat your eggs and fry.

#9 ·
look I really dont want to argue but you have your ways and I have mine. Everyone is different. I'm not having any troubles at the moment with anything other than having an unusually small spawn.

#11 ·
Uploading a video now. Just got a new male in so the first few minuets are about him but the rest is how to breed properly and my methods.

#13 ·
Yup!

#19 ·
Honest truth lol.

#16 ·
lol I agree. I'm actually going to give another go at spawning next week. This spawn was pretty much a bust but it was a first for me and my fishies. Maybe round two will be better

#17 ·
Lots and lots of good and correct ways to successfully spawn this species and rear fry....its finding what works for you, your breeders and what you have on hand......

I use a more natural method in 5-10gal full to the top with water, soil based heavy planted tanks, shrimp (RCS), common snails added, no added filtration, heater at 80F, water lettuce or floating Oak leaf for the nest site, lights off at night, I condition the breeders and feed fry with live foods...I use the live plants for the natural partition-meaning that both are added to the spawning tank at the same time. Usually I will have spawn the same day I add the breeders-sometimes I remove the female and sometimes I leave her to get mutli spawns and harvest the eggs to artificial hatch, some I may use 2 females, some I may leave the male long term...... it varies based on the goal of the spawn

Fry get moved to larger tanks as they grow-I separate by size
Water changes on the fry in soil based NPT's are different than a standard setup- daily 25% for the first week after free swimming then weekly for 2 weeks-then monthly......

My method is not for everyone and not recommend to use for your first spawn....but once you have a few successful spawn....and you have an established NPT's....try it...you will be amazed at how easy it can be-how healthy the fry...etc......

Happy spawning....

#18 ·
I use the bare bottom method. Spawning tank is 6.6 gal. with sponge filter, java moss, heater set at 80-85*. I use betta spa rather than the leaves because I cut a stirofoam cup in half for the bubble nest.
As soon as the fry are big enough, I feed microworms, decaps, and Atison's betta starter. My fry don't seem to have a problem eating the "non live" foods. They love the decaps best as a matter of fact.
I move them to a larger tank as they get bigger.
As you can see, we all have our own ways, and what works best for one might not work as well for another. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.