Betta Fish Forum banner

bloating and floating

899 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
My betta fish suddenly became bloated while I was at work. Is abdomen is badly bloated and it is struggling to stay below the surface. There is no pineconing yet and he it is mainly his left side that is floating upwards. His left eye shows some signs of being pushed further out by the bloating.

I feed him a pellet twice a day

and do regular changes

he is in a 1.5 gal filtered tank

what could it be and what are some remedies?

Im about to move him into a bowl with clean water as well as fast him

#3 ·
I would but my camera isn't working - there's no pineconing or discoloration of his eyes (yet),it just seems like there's too much air in his stomach.

I do a 50% change each week.

It's filtered but not heated - however the water is a steady 90C because of my rooms heat.

I initially thought it was SBD but wasn't sure - what causes it? what do you think?

thank you for responding btw

#4 ·
IMO a filter is useless in a 1.5G. A 1.5G should be cleaned at least 100% twice a week. Ammonia will build up VERY quickly in smaller tanks. Try to keep the water warm and clean and put a towel or something over his tank so he's dark. Also, I would fast him and check to see if he's pooping. He could be just bloated. If you can get your hands on daphnia, I would. It helps with constipation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.