Betta Fish Forum banner

Would this work?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Yaoilover12397 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I would be able to put 2-3 cory cats in with my male fred, he is in a 5 gallon near a window so there is algae on some of the decor. just curious going to petco later today

#2 ·
A five gallon is not large enough for even a small school of cory cats (4). It is certainly not large enough to support both a small school and a betta. Also cory cats do almost nothing in terms of reducing algae in the tank. I would suggest moving the tank if you don't want algae on the decor.

#4 ·
The only thing that would work in a 5 gal. would be shrimp. But those usually end up as betta snacks xD

If you wanted, you could divide the tank and get another male.

#5 ·
Corydoras usually don't eat algae...You might want to block the side of the tank that is getting sunlight or move the tank, sometimes when a tank is too close to a window the sun creates algae. I wouldn't add anything but a snail or shrimp in with a betta in a 5 gallon.Amano shrimp will eat some types of algae.

#7 ·
I'm going to agree with the others. Corydoras are not an option in such a small tank. I would try a Bamboo Shrimp or a Mystery Snail if you don't wish to divide.

If you would divide to get a second Betta I would so check out the buying section here. Some really great Bettas for sale as well as for rehoming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.