Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #1 
BettaTestta

Post Question

I just got a female betta today and I don't know what type she is. I do know that she is either a CT or VT. She is blackish/brownish with blue finnage. I have my male VT in a 5.5 gal tank at the moment and was curious about some things. My female has like some light or beige looking vertical stripes. I am assuming that those are breeding stripes, because fears run horizontal. Well anyway the question is: If I put her in with my male and him without a bubble nest will he kill her or what? What would happen? Would he create the nest with her in there or what?
BettaTestta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Since it sounds like neither have been conditioned and you would just be putting them in together without gauging the receptiveness of either party, I would think the chances of them attacking each other would be fairly high.

Are you trying to breed your bettas? Because there is more to breeding bettas than just putting a male and a female in a tank together.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #3 
BettaTestta

I don't know how to condition them. But I assumed that they would attack one another if I put them in together. So how would I condition them exactly, and how long would it take for my male VT to build a bubble nest?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I recommend you have a look through this thread before even contemplating breeding.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116065

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't even know how to condition your two bettas I don't think you are going to be ready to breed any time soon.

You have to remember it is not just the breeding part, it is having the time and resources to dedicate to raising the fry. We are talking months and months of daily commitment.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #5 
RainbowsHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaTestta View Post
I just got a female betta today and I don't know what type she is. I do know that she is either a CT or VT. She is blackish/brownish with blue finnage. I have my male VT in a 5.5 gal tank at the moment and was curious about some things. My female has like some light or beige looking vertical stripes. I am assuming that those are breeding stripes, because fears run horizontal. Well anyway the question is: If I put her in with my male and him without a bubble nest will he kill her or what? What would happen? Would he create the nest with her in there or what?
BettaTestta, it looks like (from your posts) you've really only had your FIRST betta for a few days... Don't you think it would be better to wait before trying to breed them? Just having betta fish can be enough of job, especially between learning about various foods, treats, keeping them exercised, tank upkeep, cycling, and more. Fry, as far as I know, are a lot more work than a single betta and the breeding process can be tricky. There's nothing wrong with aspiring to breed eventually, but maybe you should get to know your fish a little better before diving in head-first!

After a few months and a few fish (minimum), maybe consider joining and investing in the IBC to learn more about breeding from them.
RainbowsHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #6 
BettaTestta

You don't sound harsh but I understand what you are saying LittleBettaFish. And RainbowHaven, I've had a VT for about a month now but the female is new. I am still learning but I figured that I would just ask. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Definitely do tons of research and read whatever you can get your hands on in regards to spawning bettas and raising the fry.

Every single piece of information is another tool to add to your tool kit. There are so many different methods out there, and it's best to get a well-rounded view rather than just focus on one particular way of doing things. You will find even the best laid plans go astray when it comes to bettas.

Spawning bettas without doing any research beforehand is like baptism by fire. If you go through some of the threads in this section where members have decided to breed bettas without understanding all that it entails, it is a lot of stress and struggle.

There are a number of experienced breeders on this forum and if you are thinking of breeding bettas some day in the future, those are the kinds of members whose posts you should be paying attention to.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 to what LBF said. Reading some of the spawn logs might help you also, then you can read about and see other breeders' setups and how they do things.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote