Betta Fish Forum banner

Help! Trying to save a male betta

2K views 49 replies 10 participants last post by  headerthebettalover 
#1 ·
I just got a betta fish at WlaMart. I bought him knowing he is not well. I am pretty sure he has a fungal infection but I am not sure what else. He is laying on his side and struggle (and makes it) up to get air. I bought him a new tank so he is away from my other bettas.

I bought him because I knew no one else would and he would just lie there and die. I thought maybe I could give him a chance if I treated him.

He is in his new tank with just enough water (it is a square tank so there is volume) so that he could reach his head up for air without having to struggle. Just did this so if I need to change this I can pretty fast. I got some fungal medication and put in just a little because of the level of the water. Added stress coat and of course the water conditioning before I put him in.

I tried to let him adjust to the water temp by sticking his container in the water first, but I didnt leave him long as there were lots of fungal cotton stuff in that stupid little container.

He does seem a little more active since I tried to treat him and he doesnt have to waste all his energy getting air. Its hard to explain and maybe its just because I wish it to be so.

Is there any way he might pull through? I can post photos if you need to see his condition. Is there anything else I can try to help him????:oops:

See less See more
#13 ·
No problem. If you really keep it up, this should perk him up atleast to get him swimming. Use 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons.

Keep us updated!

Also, a good high protein pelleted betta food will help him recover faster. You can also buy bloodworms as treats, or soak the food in garlic juice, as this makes the food more appealing to a betta. you can sink the food down next to him.

Good luck!

#18 ·
i was always told Hikari changed their formula, and isn't the best any more.

it's not unheard of for ill bettas to just lay about. think about when you have a cold. don't wanna move much, right? :B same with them.

i think... Sakura knows a lot about medication. you could try talking to her if you feel you have to medicate. i can't, for the life of me, remember her full username, though.

New Life Spectrum's the best food, imo. but, i don't know of any pet stores that sell the food. :I

#19 ·
My betta Fred looked like that just not as bad. Its because of the bad water conditions they keep them in. Change his water every day and spinkle a little aquarium salt in it. I also didnt use the betta water like they kept suggestion. I used tap water that I treated myself. Also definitely try to warm up the water hes in.

#21 ·
Yeah, I saw the betta water today for the first time. They didnt use to carry it. I did not get it, I do the same as you Allanira. I just added more water to the tank so he can move around more if he wants to. I am gonna steal the heater from the other tank. I dont have another cause I didnt think I was getting a fish today. He just looked to pitiful and like I said, I am sure no one else would have bought him.

I dont have any salt at the moment. Will it hurt him if I do not get it until tomorrow, or is there an alternative?

Should I try to feed him a few bloodworms? I certainly understand not feeling good when your sick and I do not usually eat much either. I do not know if they over feed him or he did not eat cause there was food in the water that was in the stupid container they sell them in.

The medications I got for him are:
Beta Care Kit to condition the water
Jungle Fungus cleaner fizz tabs
Melafix Fish Fist Aid
and API Stress coat

I have used the conditioner, the stress coat and the fungal clear. I do not have lots of water in there for him yet so I used just a tiny amount of all of it since it is rated for 10g tanks.

Should I leave the tank with just water in it for now and not put in the gravel and other stuff?

Thank you all for your replies. It really is helping and I have a bit of hope now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.