Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Activities!

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Are there any activities i can have my betta Zeus do? He looks bored in his tank :( He is in a 10 gallon by himself, but he has lots of hiding spots/plants. Also, i have a floating mirror that i put in occasionally and that keeps him entertained for the time being, but is there something more permanent to get him occupied? Thanks! :)

#2 ·
Hello, and Welcome, there is a Betta Floating Log, that most bettas like to play around in, and if you have any hiding caves with a lot of holes, big enough for your fishy to go in and out of, that helps, but they really don't need much to entertain themselves, if you spend time with him, and talk with him, and put your across the surface of the water, they like to play chase the finger, or across the outside of the tank, they follow it, but when they are left alone, they just swim, and go in and out of the plants, but I find the "Log" is fun for them, my fishy loves his, I see him in there often.

#3 ·
Some people like to take a water bottle cap and put treats in it and let their Fish try to get them out. I've heard that it doesn't take them long to figure out how to tip it over and get the food. Some people have said that their fish get really excited now when they see the lid because they know what's coming!

#9 ·
Lil' Blooie is all regal now. Get this-he perches himself on the small lip above the stick heater's suction cup and the electric chord all night and sometimes during the day too.

I must say he was scared silly during hurricane Sandy though. I think he's still reverberating.

#15 ·
I got Prince Zuko a Betta Log a couple days ago from Petsmart and now he loves to go and play in and around it. It took him a while and my girlfriend thought him how to go in the log by placing a FD bloodworm in the hole. Now he goes in and out, rest and sometimes he tries to push it lol.

Get your betta a Betta Log!

#19 ·
Amazon.com sells something called theR2 Fish School Complete Fish Training Kit

might give you some good ideas. There are some "training your betta" videos on YouTube, too.

I haven't had time to formally train but they do seem to pick things up pretty quickly. Just how long did it take them to figure out we give them food lol

#25 ·
Maybe don't keep the mirror in his tank; it can exhaust him if he thinks the "other fish" is a threat and is always in his home. I have a mirror that I put beside their tank for about 3 minutes a day just to give them some exercise.

Also, feeding time can be a lot of fun. Junior loves bloodworms so I'll dangle one just above the water for him to jump for, and then I'll move it so he has to chase it. Live food, such as brine shrimp, may be fun for your fish to chase, too, if you're interested in that. Just be sure to rinse it off first.

I also talk to my boys. They are very curious fish so mine will swim up to the surface and look up at me talking to them.

#26 ·
What or how do you guys train your betta's to jump for the food? Tried it for a few minutes today and nothing :/

I also try to talk to him and call his name xD

#27 ·
Have them associate food with your finger. Start by just feeding him and showing him your finger at the same time. Then whenever he comes to you when you call him, give him food. Then, you can call him over to you after he knows that you feed him, and stick a dry pellet onto your wet finger and hold it a little over the surface of the water. If he still doesn't jump, stick the pellet and your finger in the water so he'll see that there was food there so he'll know how to get it next time!

#29 ·
Just remeber some Bettas fins are too big for jumping. I have read of the metal in betta hamocks rusting and it falling off. If I had the traing kit I woyld keep it in its own tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.