Betta Fish Forum banner

bettas and goldfish

8K views 84 replies 22 participants last post by  Neil D 
#1 ·
my dad has a five gallon tank with one betta and two goldfish on his desk at work. do they get along or should i tell him to take the betta out?

#2 · (Edited)
Yes!!! take the betta out. Bettas and goldfish aren't a good mix beacause they are COLDwater fish and bettas are TROPICAL and NEED heat. Even if goldfish were tropical a betta wouldn't get along with them beacause they have long fins JUST like a betta does.

#9 ·
Small goldfish grow to be BIG goldfish. It doesn't matter if they are small now, they will get bigger. The whole thing of them only growing to the tank size is only partially true. If they are in a small tank it stunts their body but their internal organs keep growing, which eventually kills them.

Are they feeder goldfish? (the 25 cent ones?) if so, they have the capacity to grow about 18 inches long. I just got some a few months ago (3 inches when I got them) they are now 6 inches long. And the one I got last year is about 12 inches. I'd highly recommend you find them a home with someone who has a pond.

#11 ·
Are they feeder goldfish? (the 25 cent ones?) if so, they have the capacity to grow about 18 inches long. I just got some a few months ago (3 inches when I got them) they are now 6 inches long. And the one I got last year is about 12 inches. I'd highly recommend you find them a home with someone who has a pond.
yes, they are feeder goldfish. i didn't know they could get that big but five gallons is definitely not enough room for them. i will tell my dad to remove the goldfish. he has a larger tank at home. :)

#10 ·
+1 for doggyhog.

If you can't find the goldfish a pond home soon, (not a wild stream, lake or river because that's just insane) and you absolutely want to keep them, most of what you need to know about housing them is that one goldfish needs at least 20 gallons of water to fully grow and stay alive, and they have massive bio-loads so big filters are necessary, so if you just so happen to have a 40-50 gallon tank, you could stick both fish in there and watch them grow :)

#12 ·
Bettas and Fancy Goldfish can live peacefully together. But, the Goldfish must be the Fancy, slower types, not the Comets. Your father needs a larger tank for his two Goldfish. Each Goldfish should have ten gallons of water. So, your dad should have a 20 - 30 gallon tank. Goldfish grow up to be about 18 inches long.

#13 ·
regardless of fancy or not. they still have different requirements.
so keeping a 2 inch betta with a 6 inch fancy is not acceptable.
they are the same godfish, they just happen to look different. they are cold water, and bettas are tropical. please rethink what you posted.

#15 · (Edited)
+1 (emphatically) to all the "no" answers.

Also, just want to add that goldfish are notorious fin-nippers. Two speedy goldfish in with your slow betta is no match. Incredibly high stress level for the betta probably, and stress is a big contributor to illness & disease in fish as it lowers their immune system and makes them avaliable to host any sort of nastiness that happens to come along. And, lots of bad stuff already lurks in the aquarium and on the fish, but a healthy fish and proper environment (temp, ph, being handled properly, good diet, etc.) will keep the bad stuff at bay..... UNTIL stress comes along. You've already got that! It's a waiting game now.

Your dad's set up is just inviting an early death for that betta!

#17 ·
You may have had luck, but the betta is still not living in its proper conditions. Bettas need at least 76 degrees, 70 is way too cold. It doesn't matter how fast/slow the goldfish is, the water requirements are just too different.

That being said, this thread is very old.

#19 ·
It isn't a debate, it is a well known fact that bettas require temperatures in the 76-82 range. If you wish to put them in water that doesn't necessarily meet their requirements it is up to you. Not a debate, just a simple fact that bettas prefer higher temperatures.

#21 · (Edited)
Also, I can survive on cookies and potato chips (and I'd sure be happy) ...... but not as well as if I ate a "healthy" diet, one recommended for a long, healthy life as determined by scientific research. And, wouldn't "enough" be when this thread has no more posts. After all, it is a community forum and everyone here has a right to post if they so choose.

#24 ·
I said Enough, because all it seems is you want to argue with me. If this is a community forum, then why am I not allowed to give my opinions based upon my experiences, and knowledge, without being attacked about them, by yourself?
We aren't arguing…. you have a right to say your opinions, and we have a right to disagree. All members on this sight will agree with us that a betta is not its happiest at 70 degrees with a goldfish, regardless of fancy or comet.

You aren't being attacked, we are just telling you that isn't good for you fish.

The point of the matter is that a betta is healthier and happier in warmer water with fish they are actually compatible with, no ifs, ands, or buts. It isn't fair to deprive the betta of the temperatures it requires. I am 100% positive that both the goldfish and the betta would be happier and healthier if separated.

#29 ·
I would appreciate no more comments about Betta fish and Goldfish living together. I realize Bettas like warmer water. I am just stating they can live in cooler temp's also, without any difficulty. A number of Freshwater Tropicals can live, healthfully, in cooler water.
Marian, with all due respect, this was an old thread that a new forum member made a comment on. You don't need to make any more comments if you don't find it necessary, although this discussion may continue.

I'm sure your experience tells you that bettas and goldfish can live in cooler temps ok. But please accept that there are many others who may have had the experience that bettas cannot live in those cooler temps you have mentioned.

So, my unbiased opinion is that there might be a majority who think that those cooler temperatures are not adequate. Through my researching bettas, I would be one of those.

#28 ·
Yes they can survive in low temps, do they like it? I doubt it.
Would they be happier and healthier in an appropriate environment? Definitely yes.

You may not have difficulty, but you don't know what the fish are thinking. It is best to keep them in their proper environments. You just can't mix a cold water fish with a warm water fish without sacrificing the health and happiness of the other fish. It just isn't fair to them.

From the way you are being, I gather that you aren't going to change your set up, so please just don't recommend this to anyone, they might not know any better.

#30 ·
I don't even think temperature should be the main issue here. The fact is that bettas and goldfish are just not compatible, period. I've never owned a goldfish but through a very small amount of research I've learned that they grow pretty big and live a long time when properly cared for.

Aside from the fact that goldfish need rather large tanks to accommodate their large size, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "There's always a bigger fish." Assuming a goldfish was allowed to grow to even a half of their full grown size, they would probably eat a betta eventually.

I don't think it's a matter of opinion, I think it's a matter of fact.

#32 ·
Freshwater tropicals are called that for a reason... they need Tropical temperatures. If they could be healthy in colder temperatures they wouldn't be called Tropical fish. It is a well known fact bettas are from hot Thailand, not somewhere cooler. It's silly how the temperatures are being debated, the fish needs what the fish needs, and bettas need warm water. That's that.

If you want tropical fish (bettas and others) to die, go ahead and put them in a goldfish tank. >__> That's my two cents! :p

#33 ·
Not to mention the pH, filtration and feeding requirements are vastly different for both species. These are essentially the exact opposite of each other, and just another reason the two shouldn't be housed together. Goldfish prefer harder water and a higher pH, a more fibrous and vegetable based diet, and at least x10 water circulation which adds to quite a lot of current. Plus the higher the temperature of the tank, the less dissolved oxygen in the water and the more filtration you'll need to provide.

Ps. I know this was an old topic, but it could be useful info for members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.