Betta Fish Forum banner

Good/bad betta food

Tags
feeding
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LizzyP 
#1 ·
Until tonight I was feeding Dumbledore TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets. They aren't the best, I know. I got them before I really got into taking good care of my betta and just got a chance to pick up some new food. I couldn't remember what kind of food people recommended on here so I started reading bottles. I ended up with Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets.

The first 3 ingredients are Whole Salmon, Halibut, & Shimp
Guaranteed Analysis:
Min. Crude Protein 42%
Min. Crude Fat 5%
Min. Crude Fiber 2%
Max. Moisture 8.5%
Max. Ash 8%
Min. Phosphorus .5%

So now my question is, is it good food? I remembered Omega One being a popular food brand on here. Also, the pellets are very small, how many should I feed Dumbledore? On the can it says as many as your fish will eat in a minute but if that was the case I'd dump the entire can in during one feeding XD. Tonight I gave him 3 pellets and a bloodworm. He didn't get fed last night and is fasting tomorrow. I fast him for 1 day out of the week just to keep his digestive track moving and healthy.

So, yeah. Am I doing this right? 3-4 pellets in the morning, 2-3 pellets at night? Bloodworm as a treat 2x per week. Sometimes I feel like I'm starving him. >.>

Thank you! :yourock:

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a good food. The only problem is the wheat gluten. It's a cheap filler to boost the protein. It's from wheat extract. To me, Omega One is the 2nd best. The best IMO, is NLS. It DOESN'T have wheat gluten, has no wheat flour or any of those things as 1st ingredients and has protein. OWNER AND BETTA LIKE. :D

#3 ·
I second Lebron on this, NLS is hands-down the best commercial food ingredients-wise that you can buy. The only filler it has is whole wheat flour. The only downside is that it sinks very quickly, so you'll have to feed pellets one at a time to avoid them sinking to the bottom unnoticed by your betta and creating excess waste.

And with your current feeding schedule, he's getting more than enough to eat. Don't worry about him looking like he's always hungry. It just means that he's healthy and has a healthy appetite.

#4 ·
i just bought omega one betta buffet "floating pellets". i chose it because it said floating. (even though the people say its 2nd best in nutrition) i wish i had bought nls because omega one sank like a rock. nls was much cheaper for the quantity. i dont know if i just got a bad batch.

luckily one of my aquariums has only a little gravel in it so im able to clear a place for the sinking pellets. my betta finds it later so theres no rotting food.

on the plus side, he really seems to like it and its a good size pellet.

#5 ·
I have just moved up to the Omega One also, and my bettas not only love it, but their energy is better, and they seem to be digesting better than the junk food I had for them to start. We all need to upgrade food, equipment etc. as we are able, the point is improving the care our bettas are getting! Good move Lizzy!

#6 ·
I was really apprehensive about switching foods. Dumbledore liked the old pellets, and I didn't want to have a hard time switching him. Luckily he seemed to like them and hopefully he'll be eager to eat them tomorrow since he gets fasted today.

Also, I was dumb and just picked up a can of freeze dried shrimp. Not brine shrimp, just shrimp. Can he eat these? I break them in half/quarters so I don't stuff him. Or should I just go out and try to find brine shrimp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.