Betta Fish Forum banner
707 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  demonr6 
#1 ·
I just got a 2 and a half gallon tank with no filter or bubbler. Someone said distilled water is bad for fish. I have a water softener that adds some salt to our water. Could i still use tap water with the safe water stuff? ( dont exactly remember the name right now)

#2 ·
Distilled water is not recommended for tropical fish and the water from the home water softener type setup are also not good for the fish...all they do is change one Ion for another that is worse for the long term fish health...if possible I would by-pass the water softener on your tap for aquarium water use....depending on how your water softener system is set up you may be able to get water from a bath tub or outside tap if it is not hooked up to the whole house.

#4 ·
We've never had a problem with salt from our water softener.

You can always get bottled spring water and condition that, if you're very concerned. Or remove the hose from the spicket and take directly from there.

#5 ·
We have a Kinetico water system at home and I was told by the tech to use the bypass at the filter before it goes to the salination tank. We have never had problems with the water except for the pH being a little high but that can be dealt with. I still use the conditioner though even though testing it before adding the conditioner shows the water quality being excellent. Distilled is absolutely evil though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.