Betta Fish Forum banner

I am OUTRAGED!!!!

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  veganchick 
#1 ·
Well I was at my local petsmart holding adoptable dogs, and I had to go check out all their animals' conditions. I was really impressed until I came to the fish. They had somehow managed to cram 1 guppy, FOUR feeder goldfish, a black moor goldy (with ick) a male betta, and 2 female bettas in a HALF GALLON display tank. All fish were smaller then usual size (the male betta was the largest at about 1.5"), but they had no room whatsoever to move around. I had no idea how they were alive in there. I spoke to the manager and she proptly told me that they had been in there all day and none had died so it was perfectly ok. on their tanks that they sold the fish in, it even stated that goldfish needed atleast 2g and guppies atleast 1 (which are both too small, but still larger than what they were in) I was completley outraged that they would encourage people to put so many fish in something so small.....

#7 ·
I know!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......... Sorry I came on here and ranted. I had to get my anger out on here so that when I wrote to petsmart it didn't sound all uneducated and angry...... I wouldn't be surprised if I went back tomorrow and all of them were dead....

#9 ·
Thank god my petsmart isn't that bad. The display tank they have is atleast 55 gallons and they keeps goldfish in it, but the still sell the goldfish. Every time I go into the fish section, they have different fish on display. The staff all seem well educated too. They all have a pet that they keep great care of. I got two employees reading every book available until one of them had to leave. They finally figured out that I was right and I could keep female bettas together. At least they try!

#10 ·
I would love to have known the temperature of the tank to, the goldies wont be around for much longer at all if its heated to tropical temps :(

And 2Gallons for a goldfish :( Its awful. Im glad to say that here in the UK the fish are kept alot better, albeit we might have 15 goldfish in one 10 gallon but the "Pets@home" near me sell at least 10 goldfish everyday.

#14 ·
Can you tell me what state and city this was in? And if comfortable even the adress. I work at a petsmart in california and we do not tolerate this kinda of stuff. If you can send me that information I can send it to my manager and get some people fired no doubt. At my store we wont sell a betta unless they are gonna buy a 1.5gallon at the least for it alone and they have to buy it there so we know they are following through.

#15 ·
At my store we wont sell a betta unless they are gonna buy a 1.5gallon at the least for it alone and they have to buy it there so we know they are following through.
I have to remark to this, Sorry,
But that doesn't sound like a reasonable store policy to me at all,

Sounds like your saying no matter how many tanks I may say I have at home, I have to waste my money and buy a 1.5 gallon tank from your store or I can't buy a betta from you?

Surely you misspoke there

#16 ·
I know nothing of the policy, but perhaps you could provide proof by bringing in a photo, or the tank itself, before purchasing the betta. Seems like a neat idea because it combats the ignorance people walk into the store with / most pet store employees promote, but I cant really see this being enforced successfully. Cheers to you if you've been capable thus far, though.

#19 ·
Assuming it's empty, I really don't see why not. The 2 gallon glass tank I first housed a betta in was brought with me to the pet store while buying Roy Cherry. I only suggested the photo option should one have a cycled, or already set up, tank awaiting the arrival of a fish - again, within reason, and also saves you the cost of a new tank which seems to be your main gripe. How else would one provide evidence, were they adamant about purchasing a fish from that store?

It's really no sillier than the policy itself, which I'd like to hear more from RedBetta about.

#18 ·
ohhh wow. that's unacceptable, and if i was to see that at one of the stores here i would be just as angry. and the second she told me that it was ok for them to be in that tank, i would inform her that i would be reporting her. ugh that infuriates me.

#20 ·
Well.... No bowl on display yesterday. Instead they had a 1.5g betta cube with 5 female bettas and 1 male. None were fighting but all had shredded fins and were very pale....... I wrote a 3 page single spaced letter and mailed it to them, plus an email, and I am willing to do more than that if this keeps up. I am happy to say though, a new pet store is replacing the old one that was shut down do to poor facilities and They do not sell live animals.

#25 ·
You are VERY lucky. Every time I go to my petsmart I take time to inspect EVERY fish... and set all of the dead ones on a different shelf and then the employees come and move them :-(

There is another petsmart about 30-40 minutes from me that seems MUCH better. Last time I was there they only had one Betta and he was in a 5gallon by himself.

#24 ·
To live in a perfect world, unfortunately we don't.

That's just my point, There is no rule saying you have to buy a tank from them or you can't purchase a betta.
Give me the phone number# the store location, all the details, and I'll personally call.

If such a rule existed it would only be for the money aspect of it,
It's a store based on profit or it doesn't exist!
Nice cover to say "it's for the well being of the betta, If only it was true.

If it's truly for the well being of the betta then go all the way and force the sale of a proper sized tank.

If someone is naive enough to think they have to buy a tank from them
then the store made a profit,

Pictures, they prove nothing, can get a sea full of those, who hasn't got a camera or know where they can get aquarium pictures.

So what next,
do We have to prove that we actually have food to feed them?
or that were gonna change their water regularly?
Have medicine to care for them should they get sick?
A heater to keep them warm.

That's just plain silly.

Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to have a child either until we prove we have a home and food for them.

Rules like this is part of why so many dogs are euthanized every day.
Because an adoptee failed one time in their life to do a follow up at the vets with a pet they previously owned and many other lame reasons.
So they are classed as unfit to own a dog and the dog is taken back.

Petsmart stores seem to be in troubles everytime you turn around,
It's no wonder really.

#26 ·
Animal cruelty..... Sucks.............. The thing is, even if i make a difference, it still seems like there are so many other animals out there who need help! It never ends..... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.