Betta Fish Forum banner

The ignorance! *MAJOR FACEPALM*

6K views 148 replies 37 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Ok, so I was at my local diner, and I overhear some MORON at the table next to me talking about fish he's had. He was talking about how he was putting "feeder fish" WITH a betta fish in a 1.5 GALLON TANK!!!! Then he was talking about how they kept dying within 72 hours! You would think after two animals dying within a week, in a row, the average person would realize they are doing something wrong and maybe RESEARCH the topic or STOP BUYING FISH!!! That's not all, he was referring to the with numbers....9,. 10, 11, etc were "penciling" or "seizuring out".....omg I can't believe he killed that many fish....I really hate it when people's ignorance leads to the suffering of living things....:frustrated:

#28 ·
It's a lot easier nowadays to do research with the internet. Before the internet was so popular, all you had were books (which often contained outdated and incorrect information) and the LFS staff.

All my fish died horrible horrible deaths back then. I had seahorses because the lady at the store said they were great for a first time fishkeeper. Then some kind of other saltwater fish that both died within a week of me owning them. That was all my birthday and Christmas money blown, totally discounting the fact that I lost my fish.

Does that make me a bad fishkeeper? I would like to think not, since nothing like that has happened to me since. I learned from my mistakes and when I returned to the hobby around nine or so years later I did my research beforehand.

I think you really can only use the excuse of ignorance once. Especially in this day and age where soooo much information is at your fingertips.

However, there are some people who you can never change, no matter how persuasive your argument. To a lot of people out there a fish is just a fish. If it dies or gets sick you just flush it and trot off to the store to buy a new one. This is partly because fish are so cheap they are practically disposable goods, and partly because many people are jackasses.

There is one thing in this world I never want to come back as and that is a pet fish. Particularly something like a betta or a goldfish. They have to be amongst the two mistreated pets kept today.

#29 · (Edited)
He bit me but I still love and care for him. If some one tried to hurt my fish I will have to call an ambulance for them after my revenge.

#32 ·
My friend's mom, whenever fish are on sale, she "couldn't resist buying one" she has ONE neon tetra! Overstocked tanks, never does water changes, and "every time I add a new fish one dies" so I tell her to do more water changes, but its "too much work" and I say "so you would spend a fish's life on your laziness?" I don't go to their house

#33 ·
I have mixed feelings about ignorance.

The people who "don't look like they know what they are doing" don't bug me if they are willing to learn and proceed to do so. The people who kill their goldfish because they thought the petstore guy knew what he was talking about, but think to themselves, "His advice didn't work very well..." do not anger me. At least that ignorant person has some common sense. It would be nice if the road to knowledge for that type of person wasn't paved with dead fish, but some people only learn the hard way. As long as they can learn, and do learn, I can forgive ignorance.

The only time ignorance bugs me to the point that someone is dead to me is when the person will not see the error of his or her ways no matter how many times he or she repeats the same exact error. Therefore, if someone is up to betta number 37 in the span of a month because he or she hasn't realized that 0.5 gallons is not enough space or water, I just can't forgive that. I know there are rumors and misinformation out there that can lead people to poor habitant choices. But when someone can't get the hint that he or she doesn't know how to care for fish no matter how many fish are killed, that person needs a new hobby.

I suggest knitting since balls of yarn can't die. -_-

#34 · (Edited)
Yeah the most over stocked my family did is 3 common goldfish in 20 gallon but today only one is left they were actually pretty healthy before I got to this forum I recommended a female Betta for my teachers tank he seems to NOT LIKE BETTA FISH!!!!! Also a teacher kept a wedding Betta in a cold bowl we need to Aline our self with other aquarium forums and protest aquarium animal abuse but NO PETA they can not help us. I lost 3 bettas to ignorance a while back years span Betta one died in bowl Betta two died in bowl Betta three in a ten gallon Betta 4 community tank no lid I thought she was too smart to jump her death haunts me to this day Betta 4 lives in community tank with lid.only two bettas for a total of 3or4 years and a child that is pretty good. but so said for Betta one two and 4.

#36 ·
Let me just say that it is okay to keep a betta in a bowl as long as it is at least (IMO) 1.5 gallons, has a heater set to the right temperature, and the proper amount of water changes are done.

The problem is, people can be extremely lazy and don't want to change the water more than once a month...

#37 ·
Ever since my daughter was small, when she would say "I want, this or that animal for a pet", I would tell her to first do her homework. Learn about what the animal needs, behavior, etc. I believe this advice is important for all people that are contemplating a new animal they have never had before.

#39 ·
i buy plants on impulse and fish i know about my endler live bearer and oto were impulse buys but I already knew how for care for them and had some when i first bought my Betta but i knew nothing about it and already knew about it but I care for them.

#42 ·
This is why I can't stand to hang out with most people... They dont want their ego crushed...

I always research now, when I was little I obviously didn't know anything, but I never actually had any pets besides dogs and cats and a hermit crab (nightmare from not knowing anything). When I wanted fish I want online and researched, I found out I wanted a betta and got a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank. Maybe its just me that I am open minded...

I totally agree with Aus though, you are responsible for your pets. You need to research how to take care of them. It is their fault. The petstore provides a place to buy pets, it isn't a information center and shouldn't be treated as one. You want to buy something? Take 5 minutes each day and learn.

#43 ·
No really they admit it my sister the artist my mom the teacher and my dad the contract worker for the FAA I also have a lot of mental conditions fish is the area of my aspie focus.

#44 ·
My mom made me do a ton of research then instead of letting me get goldfish she convincd me to buy a betta because they are less maitnence well now that i have a five gal and 4 ten gals and have spent well over $200 i think she regrets it as thats alot of money a 13 year old invests in fish i think she wanted me to save it for my horse or something she doesn't like my fish stuff niether does my dad. but i can't imagine someone yonger and less dedicated then me taking care of fish without any family support it would end tragicaly for the fishi can't even imagine and then more horrible the parent buys the kid on no A TEDDY BOWL i think its called there is a thread about it how horrible!!!

#45 ·
The teddy tank also comes with feed ounce a week Betta myths and a dead fish for your spoiled brat teddy tank. I spend over 300 dollars a year on my fish and I am only 15.

#47 ·
exactly they sell every myth and some brat is just gonna throw is at a wall there care guide has no truth. I feed my fish ounce a day and also I feed weekly freeze dried brine shrimp and flightless fruit flies daily pellets.

#49 ·
I am not calling all people who buy this teddy tank terrible most are most are ignorant and we can not stop them we complain they use the excuse we give money to cancer research the guy who made only did research in law nothing in fish care they said bettas live in puddles that is only true a few months a year and most of them die.

#51 ·
Yes if we could communicate with fish they would be a little comforted to find out they are helping children Betta love there children for 8 weeks we should make a big beautiful big fish tank and give the profits to helping cancer patients and and abused animals.

#55 ·
Yes if we could communicate with fish they would be a little comforted to find out they are helping children Betta love there children for 8 weeks we should make a big beautiful big fish tank and give the profits to helping cancer patients and and abused animals.
Oh we should totaly make a huge tank and evryone can donate decorations and supplies and accesories then auction it off and donate the money for a good cause!!! what a great idea :) we are geniuses

#57 · (Edited)
Actually my cories are perfectly healthy except for normal albino Cory blindness in my tank they have been me for a year very calm and healthy except one has scoliosis like me he had it when i got them there barbels are long too they have never been medicated because of the scalelessness they are armored catfish. I ounce had an oto on its own but i added one and they are more active as soon as i can go to the pet store i can buy algae wafers. I meant 3 as in i had 3 catfish.

#58 ·
yeah I know about cories being schooling fishies,but I do not want to upset my betta he is finally getting along with the cories 2 more emerald and Im sure he will get territorial. I got the cories from a friend since his tank shattered. They are always active chasing each other around and scavenging for food all the time.

#60 ·
I am saying I come from an abnormal family I mean who would want to be a special ed teacher I am forced to hang out with so many autistic no offense i have High Functioning Autism my whole family has at least one mental condition even the dog has ADHD and just about everyone I meet says i am a genius not trying to sound stuck up here.My pet store know some as the fish guy those bettas are so healthy. But we need to help the Bettas.

#63 ·
Do people not hear themselves on here? So many people admit that they have made mistakes when they started keeping fish but then turn around and belittle the first timers who are making the same mistakes. I have recieved lots of great information from this site, no doubt life saving info for my betta. BUT I have also seen people attack and judge others for asking a question. People often read a simple question from a poster and assume they are doing everything wrong and get very nasty. It's wrong here and it's wrong in person. Don't assume because someone may be making mistakes with their fish care that they are awful people who abuse animals. They are just misinformed or uninformed. Like YOU used to be. Offer friendly advise, don't shame them. Shaming someone will not make them better pet keepers, giving them advise without judgement will. Be helpful not hurtful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.