Betta Fish Forum banner

Gravel/rocks/etc

981 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ScuitoAmi150 
#1 ·
Just got my Betta about a week ago and already want to spoil the heck out of him. I'm hoping to buy him a new (bigger) tank this weekend - maybe a Kritter Keeper - and some silk plants and such. My question is, what sort of flooring should I get?

I live in a dorm, so the tank I purchase will still be relatively compact. I'm worried that if I get small rocks or gravel, it'll be a pain for when I have to clean out Mufasa's tank. But I don't want to leave the floor bare. Should I get the larger rock marble sort of things? Ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

#2 ·
I've got marbles in one of my tanks and I love them. They're ultra smooth and there's no risk of having them tear my betta's fins. Plus they're shiny, and I like shiny. And finally, they're pretty easy to clean.

They're probably a little more expensive than plain old gravel, but for a small tank it shouldn't be too bad.

#4 ·
Basically it depends on whether your tank is cycled or not. If you have an uncycled tank marbles will be fine provided you rinse them once a week. Personally I have never been a fan and found that some nice gravel worked great. Simply dump it into a strainer when you clean the tank and rinse with scalding hot water.

If you have a cycled tank and are doing partial water changes via a gravel vacuum, the obvious choice is gravel because you will not be able to 'get everything up' from marbles.

#6 ·
ive always had the marbles in my smaller tanks (1.5g-5g) i just really like the look and its super easy to clean. i prefer the look of gravel in my 10g but i did mix in some of the marbles to make it look more interesting, they look like gems :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.