Betta Fish Forum banner

Any plant fertilizer?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  PewPewPew 
#1 ·
I'm having an awful time keeping plants healthy in ten gallon tanks Ithink because somewhat low light. I'm thinking they would do better with a little -probably liquid- fertilizer. Is this a bad stress for my babies?

#4 ·
What plants are you trying to grow, what is your photoperiod (how long are the lights on each day), and how the the plants showing signs of not being healthy?

Liquid ferts can be dangerous for fish in high doses. However, they will probably also be bad for plants if you don't have extremely high lighting and possibly a CO2 system. So don't worry about ferts until you actually get some growth, or at least plants that are not fading on you.

#5 ·
Just got home from work--I have a couple of Java ferns, a couple Amazon swords, a couple pieces wisteria, acouple pieces pennywort, a couple bannana plants. It apears I have two worthless incandescent equiped hoods{10 watt and a 5 watt}--two 15 watt fluorescents, and very little natural sunlight.Not good, I know--I will adjust this. And I haven't been using any consistant lighting pattern. Well did yiou guys know it can be embarrasing telling you the terrible truth? Can you advise me on this lighting insuffiency? I have another fluorescent-- amagnifier halo.Please excuse my typing mistakes this morning- I need some sleep.

#6 ·
I would swap into your lights to CFL bulbs at however high a wattage your hood allows (usually hoods can handle 20 or less), and look for DAYLIGHT (6500K) bulbs. If your tank can handle 4 bulbs, go for it. A standard tank hood can handle cfls pretty well, its just the cruddy lights they come with that are the issue.

Keep the ferns off to the sides to not get too might light or they'll get all upset and may become withered.

I would shove the sword where it gets a decent bit of light. The pennywort and wisteria like light too, and so do the nanners.

I'd get the swords some root tabs (try API's, 10 pack for $10 at petsmart) and put one in every month or so to help it get a boost.

I use Aqueon plant food in my tanks that have the same plants as yours with a CFL 6500K bulb on for 9 hours a day every day and theyre happy as can be. I put mine on a timer that goes on and off the same time every day, which is super helpful.

Like OFL said, though, fix the lighting first, and everything else will be able to fall into place.

Gotta say, too, the "save the world" bit made me laugh right out loud. Oh my god, why is that even so funny? I need sleep too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.