Betta Fish Forum banner

I didn't cycle. Now what?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to fish, and did a ton of research on bettas and betta care before getting my fish. Unfortunately, I didn't do as much research on aquarium keeping. I bought a tank (1.5 gallons, with heater, filter, thermometer, pebble substrate, and two live plants--an anubias and a crypto). I got a betta from the store (a little orange one that I immediately fell in love with) and put him in. He's been in for a week and a half now. He swims constantly, I've never seen him "rest". I've done one 50% water change. I've checked ammonia several times and each time it's read at zero (I use the liquid tests). I've been continuing to read up on betta care and now I'm all freaked out that I didn't know about cycling the tank and he's going to die. Help me. What do I do now? I really want to give him a good life. The pet store people mentioned NOTHING about this; one said to having the filter run for a minute or two before putting him in.

#2 ·
Don't panic, you can do a fish in cycle, takes a while compared to a fishless cycle but do a water change when you get a small spike of ammonia such as 0.25ppm.

Bettas can survive fine in a uncycled tank as long as you ALWAYS remember to test his water every few days and doing regular water changes :)

#4 ·
Test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates :) nitrates aren't as toxic as long as they are 20ppm or below :)

If you get API's freshwater master test kit, it has bottles for PH, high range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate :)

But yeah, check all 3, regular water changes and you're good.

#5 ·
a 1.5 gallon tank is going to be hard to get to hold a cylce. most will say the smallist to cycle is a 5 gallon and that is even hard to do. i went from my 5 gallon to a 10 gallon for a better cylce and more room for plants. as long as you keep up the water changes you can keep him in the 1.5 gallon takn

#6 · (Edited)
Aniother way of saying that is: Don't worry about cycling as long as he's in that small bowl. Just keep testing for ammonia every few days. Many experienced keepers on this forum do just fine changing water frequently.

It would probably be better for him (and easier on you) to get him into a larger, filtered tank. But there's no rush.

Use Prime with water changes to help with ammonia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.