Betta Fish Forum banner

Dog drank tank water?

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Aquatail 
#1 ·
I'm using 2 empty 10 gallons to test different water/cycling options and try a planted aquarium..Well I left the 'test' tanks on the floor without lids & my dog drank out of them. A lot. In one tank is API tap water conditioner. In the other is Nutrafin cycle. Should I worry about anything or lookout for anything?

#6 ·
My cat will only drink water from my tanks >.> I try to fool him sometimes by getting 78-80 degree water from the tap and using water conditioner, sometimes he'll take but he usually just likes to drink the tank water. I generally take out some from a tank that is not medicated or any trace of other harmful things and give that to him, he's such a spoiled brat! lol but he's totally fine and so your dog will be as well ^_^

#7 ·
lilnaugrim, that's so funny about your cat! My cats love the tank water when they can get to it, but all my tanks have lids or something to cover any gaps. I've never seen them try to "go fishing" but with five cats and jumpy fish I don't really want to take the chance. :) I think Danny would try to chase off any cats that dared to drink his water. He flares at the cats if he sees them. :lol:

#8 ·
lol that's pretty funny too! Yeah I don't let them drink out of the tank in fear that they will go fishing so that's why I just scoop some out in a little bowl and they get that to drink :-D

#10 ·
lol yeah! My dad thinks I'm crazy but then I say "It's fish flavored! What's not to like?" and he just laughs while my boy drinks nearly the entire bowl of water....don't have to worry about my cat's being dehydrated!

#11 ·
Definitely something to remember if we need to get them to drink more water! I'm not entirely sure what's with my cats though... They like the tank water but when I wouldn't let one drink from the tank I compromised and gave him a jar that had just an aquarium plant in it. They seemed to enjoy that... Maybe they just like drinking from places that we don't want them to?

#12 ·
Cats that only eat dry food are in a constant state of dehydration. A pet water fountain may be more appealing to cats than a fish tank. Of course some cats are just stubborn and will drink out of a fish tank no matter what :dunno: Not sure why fish tank water is tastier than tap water :dunno: You'd think it would taste pretty awful from fish poop, tank chemicals, uneaten fish food, etc.

#13 ·
My dog likes to drink whatever water source is NOT a dog-designated bowl. She has 5 water bowls throughout the house, but she wants the tanks and toilet. If we go out to the horses/cattle, there's dozens of perfectly clean water troughs and she wants the littlest filthy mud puddle. Animals *eyeroll*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.