Betta Fish Forum banner

Question???

804 views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  ricepattyfish5 
#1 ·
Hello there!!! I was wondering something and I was hoping someone here could help me. Michael and I have been told numerous times that Fishys tank has high ammonia levels and that we need to test the water to be sure. However the test kits are a little too expensive for us right now but we still want to be sure Fishy is healthy. If it is ammonia, how would we go about treating that?? I have something called Betta Care Kit by Aqua Culture and we also have stress coat that we use whenever we clean the tanks. Do either of these cure or protect our fish?? And if not, what should we use?? I really appreciate any suggestions!!! Thanks in advance!!!

#2 ·
To help keep ammonia done do water changes more often, if you have to, do it twice a week. Or buy a plant or too to help keep it done. I wouldnt use water kits or water treaters for this problem, unless it's the water coming out of your faucet that has ammonia in it already, if that is the case then just use water conditioner. I use Top Fin or Aqueon for my water conditioner.

#3 · (Edited)
We have a Marimo Moss ball in there now and about a week after we put it in there is when we started noticing some changes in him cosmetically. Do you think that the moss ball is causing the high ammonia (if thats what it is)??? And we also use distilled water that you can buy by the gallon at Wal-Mart (our tap water is EXTREMELY hard)

#6 ·
Here is the link that I posted a while back with pictures of him. He eats and acts normally as he always has. But we are really concerned about him and ESP the thing under his eye and we cant seem to figure out whats wrong with him. :(

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=281993

But we will try taking out the moss ball and see if thats the problem.

#7 · (Edited)
First off, have you tried feeding him less? and/or changing food? I have 3 different brands and types i feed my bettas. Second maybe you could try covering his tank to keep him under as little stress as possible. And you could try to move the water heat up to 82*. You could try to use aquarium salt to help and yes stress coat when you change the water is good. I dont really know what that wart things are, have they gotten any better or worse?

DISEASE: FUNGAL INFECTION

uGENERAL INFO:

If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will probably never get fungus. It is contagious, but bettas will more than likely recover if treated promptly.

uSYMPTOMS:
Betta has white cottony like patches on its body or head. He may be less active, may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped, color may be pale.

uTREATMENT:
Do a full jar water change. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle . These are crystals are dosage should be about 30-40 grains per 1/2 gal. Water should have a nice gold color, not too dark. Do not overmedicate! Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared. Then switch to BettaZing (8 drops per gallon) to clean any other bacteria/fungus that may still be present.

#9 ·
Do not use straight distilled water; it doesn't contain the nutrients your Betta needs. My Bettas are in water that is 10 gh with no problems. If you are concerned, then mix 75% tap and 25% "purified" (not distilled) water. The Marimo Ball is not a factor.

You don't say what size your tank or if it's filtered or how often you do a wc, but MBJ is correct: At least two 50% changes per week. Use the $$ you spend on distilled water and at least buy Ammonia test strips. They aren't as good as the liquid but they're better than nothing.

After you do two 50% changes, take your water to a pet store. They'll test it for free.

#10 ·
Never, and i don't mean to sound rude, EVER use distilled water. Along with what RTST said, it doe's not have the nutrients or most of the things in water that bettas and fish need. I didnt see that message until now, or i would have said something sooner.

You could try using a filter on your tank, many places sell them. RTST is also right, most petsmarts or petco will test your water for you if you bring it in.

#13 ·
Hello again!!!! I have been on the hunt for the two medicines that I was recommended and I cannot find them ANYWHERE. I found the Fungus Eliminator by Jungle online but I could only find it for like $20 which is FAR too much. Fungus CLEAR by Jungle keeps coming up though and I wasn't sure if that would be just as effective or not?? Also I cannot find BettaZing online or in any stores around me. Is BettaFix the same thing or would it work the same?? All of these medicines have such similar names and it is so confusing. :(

#14 ·
Dont use bettafix, it has oils that can cover the gills (or something along those lines), all i know is not to use it because it can be harmful.

I do not know enough about medicines to help you out much. Can i ask where u got told to use these? And as for prices, some of them can be very expensive, where do you live?

#17 ·
I know my petsmart up here sells all the basic and sometimes unusual medications. I have a place called Marineland by me that has some stuff to. I dont really know anything about the pet areas in Delaware to tell you why the prices are high. The most I see on the medications are anywhere from $2-$15. Have you taken the moss ball out? Has anything changed?

#18 ·
Not really. Right in Dover all we have is Wal-mart, PetSmart, Concord Pets (which SUCKS and has NOTHING and what they do have is REALLY old) and a place called the Fish Bowl (we have not gone there yet but we are going today) and upstate in the Wilmington area there is a PetCo (we went there yesterday and they didn't have anything either)

We haven't taken the Moss ball out yet because we were waiting for the medicine that we have in there already to do what it was going to do and we are cleaning his tank today so we are going to leave it out and HOPEFULLY have some medicine to put in his tank. The thing under his eye is getting worse and has turned white now though.

#19 ·
UPDATE: We went to the Fish Bowl near us and we lucked out on both medications YET again. I am getting so frustrated!!! I can't find these medications ANYWHERE!!!! Somebody please help!!!! We want to clear up Fishy's fungal infection and we can't find the recommended medication. :(

#21 ·
You might consider calling your local fish store and see if they have someone who is knowledgeable about fish diseases and could take a look at him and figure out what is wrong, rather than keep treating him for different things, since this has been going on for a while.
If they will you can put in him a small container with his tank water and take him there to have them look at him. I know it's stressful for them to move then like that but he doesn't seem to be getting any better since you've been posting about this for almost a month now.
Just a suggestion. Hope you figure it out and he recovers.

#23 ·
That is very true!!! I just don't know about the people around me. But maybe they will be able to shed some light on this. It is just getting really bad and nothing is working. I will check eBay though!!! I don't know why I didn't think of that first -- Michael and I shop off there all the time!!! Thank you all so much!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.