Betta Fish Forum banner

New Owner, Blue Male HM

426 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SalsaMom 
#1 ·
I am a new betta owner & I got "Fishy" about 3 days ago from my local Petco. He is a blue betta with red ventral fins & black gills. Today, I noticed that his red fins seem to be turning a little pale and his head has a little brown too. Could he be sick or just stressed or cold? I am very limited on space, so he is in a 1/2 gal tank with no heater, no filter. My house stays around 72 degrees average. I changed his water today (I was told to use spring water), and I feed him 3 Tetra Betta pellets twice a day. I gave him some freeze dried bloodworms yesterday & he didn't eat many, so I took them out. He's active & seems pretty happy, but I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong. Should I be doing something different? I just need some help, since the guy at the Petco told me all kinds of wrong info on Bettas. Thanks!

#2 ·
You really do need a heater and at least a gallon tank for him. Bettas need their water to be between 76-86 degrees, and water is often a few degrees cooler then room temp. Gallon tanks take up very little room, and will help ensure that his water stays safe and he has enough room to swim and interact with his environment in.

Tap water is fine for water changes as long as conditioner is used.

Also, I would switch his food to new life spectrum betta formula or omega one betta buffet pellets. These brands have less filler and more high quality proteins then tetra.

#4 ·
and while he is in 1/2 gall water make you need to do full water changes about every 3 days. When you change the water make sure new water about the same temp as his water so you don't shock him with the water diffirence. You can let the water sit in the room temp for about 24 hrs this way it will be the same temp.
This is the food MattsBettas talking about

http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-formula-1-mm-semi-floating-pellets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563...ne-_-1483889&gclid=CIunzdWVrroCFYqi4Aod9FwAEw

You saying he is turning a little pale and his head has a little brown too....

And keep close eye on him if there is more visual physical changes, if he will act somehow different or refusing to eat, or stay at the bottom , hang on the top etc then you have to really worry about.

Also Check this symptoms for velvet:
Velvet is hard to spot, but can be best spotted with a flashlight. Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=iGZoUoyPC4qvkAfht4GQAQ&ved=0CDAQ9QEwAA

#5 ·
Also before you switch to the top water i would go to the store and take the water sample , give them to check for ammonia just to be safe.
If you will go buy water conditioner buy Prime seachem
If you buy a heater try to buy an adjustable one, always test the heater if its defective or leaching anything in the tank before you put it in. Check it at least for 24 hrs

#8 ·
I second the Prime made by Seachem to treat your tapwater. It also locks up ammonia for a few days which is a great thing.

I bet your boy just needs some warmer water and a little more room.

Check walmart, PetSmart/Co or local fish stores for a tank 1 - 5 gallons and yes - a heater that YOU can adjust the temperature on.
I've got my daughter's Betta in a 5 gallon with an adjustable heater set at about 80.

OH - and this will be cheap - a thermometer that goes IN the tank - they make them that stick on the inside of the tank with a suction cup and some that sink down into the gravel....should set you back all of $4 or so....
That way you know your heater is working properly and exactly what the water temp is.

Keep us posted.
I lived in Columbia and Charleston SC for a while myself...still have friends in both cities and some in Greenville.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.