Betta Fish Forum banner

Let's talk kings/giants

425 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  registereduser 
#1 ·
First, is there a difference in 'giant' and 'king'? Are there behavioral differences in the giant Bettas? And is there any difference in the care? All I've heard so far is that giants are usually more active due to less finnage. What's the minimum space (gal) you'd recommend for one giant male? Do they live significantly shorter lives as many cat/dog/horse breeds often do when you overbreed for specific sizes?

Sorry..When I started in the betta world, 'King Bettas' weren't well known. I got out of the fish world for a while and now I'm getting back in. I've just noticed these kings the past year or so.

#2 ·
I just got my first Petco "king". I have read that they are different than "giants". He does not swim any more than a regular plakat type betta but in the cup he really leaps and flops! I have a 10 gallon home planned for him (half a 20 gallon).

I had been waiting a long time for a uniquely colored "king" at Petco. All the ones they have gotten in the past year have been very dark blue or black with reddish or blueish iridescence. I finally saw one that was yellowish with some black and blue iridescence on the fins. He is pretty! No good pics yet.

#3 ·
I as well have only seen the deep blue/black/green. I couldn't explain it before, but I know you know what I'm talking about. You can tell them apart, but they're all just about the same.
Also, the cup flipping thing! That has stopped me from buying one. I usually 'save' Petco Bettas, though I hate contributing to their sale and horrid treatment :( Anyway, I almost bought one but he went PSYCHO in his cup so I left him. Weeks later, I picked up and looked at every King/Giant they had and ALL of them did their crazy antics. (Also, 98% of the EEs do it too, at least the Petco ones) but none of the 'normal' Bettas were doing it.

#4 ·
King is just petco's brand name for giant Betta. They're all giant Betta, some larger than others. There are behavioral differences between individuals, just as with standard Betta. But I haven't heard of any significant differences between Standard and giant. Giants eat a lot---a lot---more and produce more ammonia. That's a big reason to put them on larger tanks, 10g min. More's always better.

Plakats seem to be more active. Most giants are PKs. Lifespan depends on breeding and care. On this forum. Logisticsguy, Stone, MattsBetta and a few others are breeding them. Logisticguy is spawning long-fins, HMs and such. Check the Giant Betta Journal

User. How've you been? You finally got a giant. Can't wait for pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.