Betta Fish Forum banner

Odd tearing in fins

870 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  asukabetta 
#1 ·
Tank:4,3g - 15L
Filtered: yes and baffled
tank mates: 1 amano shrimp (for nearly 2 weeks)
Heated: yes
Temperature: 25C
Behaviour changes: No.
Water changes: 50% and 100% once a week

Eros my opaque betta, has been with me for almost 2 weeks, however last week I noted that his fins began to tear. Since there was a red sore, I decided to do a conservative treatment with AQ salt + stress coat API in a QT cup floating inside his main tank, it started 2 days ago.

However the fin damage has increased and looks rather odd. Since my betta is white I've had issues taking pictures of the damage. Let me describe it as best as I can:

the damage is on his tail and dorsal fin. Especially on the tail, it looks ripped, cleanly and not ragged at all.

There are no signs of rot that I can register.

I also noted that the bottom part of the tail nearest to his anal fin has pin holes in them, very small.

The damage of his tail began with pinholes, which I was suggested it could have been damage from flaring.

But Eros doesn't flare much. And I don't think it's either decor damage or rot. Perhaps it is from flaring but I do not know...

Here's the best picture I could take:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
CAUGHT IN THE ACT!! he's biting his fins!!! I am treating him with AQ salt and stress coat in a cup floating in his main tank, I'm getting him a 1 gallon jar to act as QT >_> dam him!

I wonder what is making him tailbite though, apart from being in a cup, but, he has a 4g all to himself no current, and with a good amount of live plants, and no bettas around for him to see... not sure, He's on my desk and can see everything I do and happens in the room, so it's not lack of attention or things to do.

I pulled out his amano shrimp mate, to see if it helps.

#7 ·
If he has long, and heavy finnage, he will bite no matter what, I have 2 HM's that are chronic tail biters, and even when their tails start growing back, they start to chomp away again, and as long as they are healthy overall, the fin damage may keep occuring, no matter what you do, with the heavier finned, HM's and Rosetails, they have fluffy fins, (looks like that is what yours has) and when those fins get way to long, they will bite to swim better and feel more comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.