Betta Fish Forum banner

My betta's keep dying!!!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Chicklet 
#1 ·
In the last month I have been through 5 fish. They all seem to develop white spots and then die a few days after that. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? The latest just started developing the spots and seems to be acting like the others by burrowing under the rocks in the bottom. Can I save him? He is in a 1/2 gallon bowl which I did a full water change 2 days ago with spring water and water conditioner. It seems they have all died within 2 days of changing the water. Last night I added 2 revive drops to the water but the spots seem to have worstened this morning. Years ago I had betta fish that lived for 2+ years which I cared for the same way and they thrived I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Please help I hate to see these little guys suffering because I don't know how to care for them.

#2 ·
Spring water lacks the minerals that betta's need to survive. And also, in a half gallon bowl (which is really to small) you need to be doing at least daily water changes, personally i'd be changing that water out when i got up and again before i went to bed. He should also have a heater in with him as they are tropical fish they need a temperature of 76' minimum, preferably 78'-81'

#4 ·
Please read the threads in the betta care section before you get another one. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches and fishies with a better setup.

1/2 gallon is too small to maintain a healthy environment unless you're changing out the water constantly with conditioned tap water heated to the same temp as the tank water.

Temperature is another issue and there aren't many ways to keep temp. where it needs to be in a bowl unless you live in the tropics.

Spots - do they look like salt sprinkled on the fish or are they bigger than that and fuzzy looking?

#5 ·
a half gallon tank, That in itself is a problem,
Your Spring water another,
Small bodies of water also change temps far quicker,
I've seen Betta's in small containers go from 80 degree way down below 60 just overnight and thats way to much difference to fast,

I don't know how many betta's I've had given to me from "Small containers" that was near death with one problem or another. the last one I was told always had a swim bladder issue, He was pretty much dead after living in a small container for 3 months, I didn't think he'd survive until I got him home,
But he did barely, 3 hours after being in a 5 gallon Cycled, heated tank he was moving, responded to my presence and was even trying to eat.. Next week he gets his worming..
No swim bladder issue now either.

Small bodies of water are just not good for Betta's no matter how you go about looking at it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.