Betta Fish Forum banner

Moving RCS

931 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Welsh 
#1 ·
As Clarke Gable is currently in QT I thought I would move some RCS in during his absence. Now... I hear adult shrimp shouldn't be moved due to them not being able to adapt to a new tank or something, so how do I introduce the little shrimp to a new tank, do I just put them in or float them? how do I even catch them?

#2 ·
I move my RCS from tank to tank all the time without any problems, all my tanks are pretty close in temp and water prams so I just net them and toss them in another tank, however, if the tank prams or temp are different I would intro slowly by floating and adding water from the new tank to the cup or bag you are using for transfer.
When netting be sure and hold your hand over it, these guys will jump out of the net faster than you can move......It seems just as the net touches them they jump and can go in every direction,,,so you gotta be fast...LOL.....

#3 ·
Lol, do your RCS swim around in their tank? I hear these little critters are supposed to be very active but I never see mine, only when the water is very low they come out from hiding, my tank looks empty lol

I think I will gradually introduce them, now all I got to do is find them and catch them lol

#4 ·
The males are zipping around the tank all the time- but the females don't seem to move around much in the water column staying more at the bottom and/or in the plants feeding unless a male is chasing them.
I can see mine all the time in my pleco breeding tank, Betta grow-out tanks and in my shrimp only tanks, in my adult Betta tanks they tend to stay hidden more.

#5 ·
I never see them swimming around and their only in the tank with 2 baby snails. I am hoping to find a 10 gallon which I can divide and then keep my male and my future male in, then the shrimp can have the four gallon dedicated to them :) The black gravel does seem to make the shrimp stand out more though, so I am warming to the idea of kicking Clarke Gable out lol

Another question I have for you :) Java moss, it seems to be expanding but doesn't seem to be attaching to the gravel or sand,I've had it for about 2 months now and its not as easy to look after as people say lol

#6 ·
Java moss can be a slow grower sometimes and it seems to attach to wood easier than other things. In my 20g shrimp tank it has attached to some of the gravel I have in it to help keep other plants anchored but it was tied to wood first and then spread over the bottom of the tank and then up the back wall.

In the 55g pleco tank I have a big piece of drift wood that the pleco has hollowed out for his cave and the java moss has crept across the tank and moving up the side of it...looks pretty neat, the shrimp love to pick through it and keep it clean.

I use cotton thread to tie the moss to wood and within a month or so the thread has dissolved and the moss has attached to the wood and starts to spread.

#7 ·
I have had a piece of moss attached to driftwood for the last 2 months but it doesn't seem to be doing anything, think I will put some more on there tomorrow and hope my fish won't eat it :) my pleco is doing a fine job with the wood too, it was dark on one side and light on the other and now he's slowly turning it all light coloured lol.

Thanks for your help, once again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.