Betta Fish Forum banner

feeding betta

946 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dtld9 
#1 ·
I recently got a blue and red fantail betta for the first time and have him in a 1 gallon rectangular tank with 1 ornament, filtration and a light. He seems to be doing fine after 2 weeks. His color has improved and he is lively. We put a mirror near the tank so he can see his reflection.

The pet store we got him at suggested the small bites pellet food and said to feed the betta 6 - 7 pellets every 3 days. But when I got home and read the package it said to feed 1 - 2 pellets once a day.

Which method is better for the fish?

#2 ·
Hey! Welcome to the forum!!
I used to feed mine about 4-5 a day. However I was advised by an expert to feed the fishie as follows:
Your feeding schedule should be determined by your fish. He knows how hungry he is, and when. Feeding once/day is plenty, and what I suggest is 2 - 3 pellets at a time until he turns away. Keep count, this will tell you how many to offer next time. If you do this for a week, by the end of it you'll know exactly how much he wants/needs and you'll have a nice routine worked out for you both.

Hope this helps!
BTW, you should think about getting Fishie a bigger tank like 2.5 gallons or larger!! :D

#4 ·
I know you asked what to feed him...but you need to buy a heater. Don't sya the light is enough, because it isn't. During the night the temperature can easily drop 10+ degrees, and that can kill a fish.

Pellets are his staple diet. I feed mine 2-3 pellets twice a day. Once or twice a week, I give him a few bloodworms in addition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.