Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta dying now. Need help immideately

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  wallywestisthebest333 
#1 ·
Mine has water temperature shock! I just joined this forum due to the extreme emergency. I had two, Independence and Patriot. Independence died from the shock before I could save him but I managed to get Patriot out and back into more stable water in time. Before I was able to save him he thrashed about and scared me to death. He was lethargic and swimming vertically, but now seems to have a bit more control. I put a piece of aquarium salt and a drop more of conditioner in the cup I placed him in for recovery. If there is anything I can do for poor Patriot PLEASE let me know! I don't want him to die like his counterpart!

HE ALSO WON'T EAT.
Please help. I love this fish dearly. :(

#2 ·
Just try to keep him warm and in very clean water. Add 1tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water and try to get the temperature around 80*F. See if he'll eat but only give him a small amount so he doesn't get constipated.

#3 ·
I'm not an expert on bettas, but I'd suggest for his immediate recovery to gradually warm his water up to 75-80F, if it's not already, and keep it there. They are tropical, and it will reduce stress. I'm not sure what you have for equipment to do this in a long-term, stable way (in other words, don't do it just by adding some warm water every once in a while, which will make it worse - put him in a warm room or something, float his cup in a warm aquarium with a heater, etc.)

Make sure he is not far from the top of the water so he can get up to breathe without having to go a long ways.

Try garlic juice as a general tonic, a couple drops, I'd guess in a cup. You can crush a clove or buy minced garlic in juice at the store. Don't use Bettafix or anything with melaleuca in it. Also soak his food in garlic juice if he continues to not eat. Don't know how long he's been without food, so he might just not feel like eating right away. Don't leave uneaten food in the cup. Also you could tempt him with some thawed frozen bloodworms - big shops should have them in stock. But if he doesn't eat for a day or two, it might not be a big deal until he's feeling better...?

Ah, and give him some cover in his cup, like a sprig of floating aquatic plant, as long as it doesn't obstruct his access to air. Or even just lay something over the cup that's dark and comforting but allows air in. Like a big oak leaf that's rinsed first or something else non-poisonous if it falls in. Otherwise, I'd keep him in a dark place. This security will help reduce his general stress.

That's just some suggestions off the top of my head. Probably others more experienced will have other things to try (or contradict me - believe them instead. I'm experienced with fish for many years, but not specifically bettas so much.)

If I think of anything else, I'll add it here.

#4 ·
I have not had a betta go into tempurature shock but this is my advice: If you do not already have a heater for your tank get one A.S.A.P Try to get him a 1 gallon or more to live in ( the bigger the tank means less work keeping the water clean!) Put a thermometer in his tank and make sure the tempurature is around 80 degrees Fareighnhieght (anywhere from 75-82 degrees is fine) Now put about one teaspoon of aquarium salt in the tank per gallon into his tank. Next,introduce him SLOWLY into his tank. Float him in his cup for 10 minutes so he can get used to the warmer temp. (usually i would do 5 but since he is in shock i would do ten to be safe) Then after that empty half the cup water into the tank and replace it with tank water. Let him sit for another 10 mins. and release him. Just be sure to keep an eye on him and let us know what happens. Good luck!

#5 ·
Thank you. :) yes, I keep my fish in cups (my very large tacky drinking cups) when they get sick. I dunno. It worked for Gunther when he got sick. I know Patriot isn't technically sick right now. I hurt him pretty badly, though purely by accident. I had no idea about garlic juice! I'll get some asap in the morning. I don't have frozen blood worms, unfortunately only dried. I am cleaning the top of his cup as we speak.

I have a five gallon with 5 lbs of gravel, 3 silk plants, hefty filter, florescent light, and a mini heater made for 2-5 galon tanks. (sorry, in my emergency flurry i didn't post any of this earlier)
:( i fear the heater was the culprit though. It may be dysfunctional but I have no money in order to buy a new one since I just started a new job this past Monday and get paid the 15th of June. Does anyone know the signs of a dangerous heater? the water felt too hot. It was odd. I don't want to go for a smaller heater either. And I've forgotten the name of the brand.

But I will provide shade and keep his water as close to 80 as I can. Until I have him back in a tank though I'm just using 3 grains of aquarium salt at a time in his cup. also the water conditioner/stress coat solution I bought for these two before hand. sadly now it is only for one.
Thank you for all of your help.

#6 ·
His face is really pale now and I am worried. He is swimming fine, though and is very much aware. Undoubtedly more fond of my friend Josh than myself now, though, but still active.
I have no idea if I put a drop too much of conditioner in the cup and I am very afraid of keeping him in his tank until I have an adequate way to heat the water, because my apartment is very cool.
If there are any more suggestions they would be appreciated. But you have given me wonderful advice thus far.

#7 ·
I dont think you put too much conditioner trust me, for my tanks i just eyeball how much i add your fine! :) Just calm down, what you should do is buy a thermometer if you can and use the heater in the 5 gallon tank. Check it after 15 mins. Does your heater have settings? If it does ajust it to a lower setting if the water is drastically above 80 degrees. I hope patriot feels better!:D

#8 ·
Good luck with Patriot!

did you get the hydor mini heater? because if you did a 0olt of people have had problems with it. it'll heat the water up and just keep heating it is what I've heard recently. Sorry for suggesting it a few months earlier. =[
Get the tetra 25 watt heater (the one for 2-15 gallon tanks). It's adjustable so you know for sure you're water will stay at whatever you set it at. Mine was about $15.00 I think so you should have enough for it. =]

Good luck and call me to tell me how everything goes ok?

#9 · (Edited)
this is what he looks like now. he DID NOT have the gray area around his gills before. :( his stomach was white last night but is now a pale pink so it's coming back i guess. just worried is all.
But he did eat a blood worm this morning. :) which is very good.
He is a beautiful little survivor. I am just very sad that I killed his best enemy, little Independence. Maybe I just need to get him something he can handle better like a little Napoleon? Independence scared him too much anyways. :(
D: IT WAS THE HYDOR.
:( my poor fishies. i should have read more recent reviews online.
I JUST NOTICED YOUR SCREEN NAME
i know you in real life.
that's a cheese-y avatar.
I only have 14 left :/

#10 ·
YES IT DID.
AWESOME ISN'T IT?
Yes. Yes you do.
No it's not. >=/
You have enough. especially after you take back the hydor. =]
I like his new beard! =] I think it makes him look distinguished! Now all he needs is a monocle, tophat, and a pipe! All of which I can easily supply!

Now doesn't he look wonderful? I would've given him a walking can but everyone knows that would be ridiculous.

#11 ·
YES IT DID.
AWESOME ISN'T IT?
Yes. Yes you do.
No it's not. >=/
You have enough. especially after you take back the hydor. =]
I like his new beard! =] I think it makes him look distinguished! Now all he needs is a monocle, tophat, and a pipe! All of which I can easily supply!

Now doesn't he look wonderful? I would've given him a walking can but everyone knows that would be ridiculous.
:nicefish:ROFL!!!! how did you make that?! I cant stop laughing!:rofl:

#14 ·
lololololol
ms paint.
:) thanks for the pic wwitb333

#15 ·
hey wait! what christmas card?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.