Betta Fish Forum banner

Bubble

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
So, I'm sitting on the couch watching my fish bob around in one spot of the tank. I'm thinking ' what the heck is he doing?' Well, he's blowing a bubble nest! Have you ever watched your Betta blow his nest? Its kinda cool watching them do that. Exciting! Its still small, don't know how big he'll make it but I will try to get a pic when he's done.
How long do they last? Do they destroy them or will it pop?

#4 ·
Ever seen them "yawn"?

Yawning happens before bubblenest constiruction, their gils flare out and their mouth opens real wide.

I have one in the spawning tank building a nest...hopefully there will be eggs by tonight :)

#5 ·
That would be neat to see too. I didn't even notice he started making it. Now he's just swimming around.

#6 ·
Mine yawn alot lol. At first it freaked me out. But now I think it's cute.
Yeah I watched Blue make a bubblenest. And it was really quite in the room, so I could actually hear him making it, lol.

#8 ·
At least he made you one! Mine made one when I first got him but he hasn't really made one since, but I'm pretty sure the filter is makeing the surface of the water move so much, so I put a piece of styrophome in the tank, and the next day it had a bunch of bubbles on it.

#10 ·
Haha my guy is still working on his Bubblenest but now he's got the whole tank lined with bubbles except where the filter pushed them around. Its rather cute.

#12 ·
Male bettas blow bubble nests when they are happy and/or ready to mate.

#13 ·
It really is just a sign they're ready to mate. Not a sign of happiness, you can have a perfectly happy betta that doesn't build a nest. After mine hit the ripe age of 2 he stopped making bubble nests, but he's still just as happy as he has ever been.

#14 ·
Okay bubble nest? I noticed our two betta's ( both males in seperate bowels) have these bubbles like the pic showed. I thought something was wrong with the water and it needed to get cleaned out like, I don't know, like it was a mix of yuck and oxygen or something weird like that! Are you guys saying that that mass of bubbles at the top is from the fish?
These fish have only been here for about a week maybe a little longer..... actually they will have been here for two weeks this Saturday.
What do they do with these bubbles and how sad it is that I have to get rid of it because of the water changes.

sooooooooooo what happens with it and how often do they do it and why do they do it ect......
please please tell me about this bubble nest thingy. Are there anything else they do that is neat like this?
wow so cool.

#15 ·
Male bettas will blow bubble nests in preparation for mating. Just because they do that does not mean they need to be bred. The eggs are put into the nest by the male and there they stay until they hatch and the fry are free swimming.It doesn't hurt anything if they are dumped out during water changes...they'll just build a new one.

#16 ·
So how do the males put the eggs in the nest? Wow this stuff is making want to go out and buy a 10 gallon or so and get more fish. I bred guppies and neons when i was a kid but that was pretty easy.

Thanks for the info on this. I can't wait to see if they build a new one after the water change. The females don't build these bubble nest?
thanks

#20 ·
A lot of fish have interesting ways to keep the eggs and fry safe- some keep their babies in their mouths or in pouches like seahorses. Betta keep them in a foamy nest so the water current doesn't scatter them everywhere. It's pretty interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.