Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta at top of the tank

915 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  kedunsmore 
#1 ·
We got 2 bettas a few weeks ago (in two separate tanks) for my two daughters. We had been treating both tanks the same (clean schedule etc). Abby's fish looks good. Amanda's fish was never as active/interactive as Abby's fish and then started to lose its color. The water was cloudy so we thought it hadn't cycled yet. Then I noticed what I thought was fungus on both of their heads. I started a treatment. Abby's fish continued to be happy. Amanda's fish became more active/interactive and regained his color.
Then I did a 20% water change and added more anti-fungal. I might have gotten too much in there. Because the next day Amanda's fish is staying at the top of the tank struggling to breath. I have been doing water 25% water changes for 2 days which has decreased the amount of anti-fungal in the water quite a bit (based on the blue color). I also wonder if the stuff on their faces is fungus...it seems to have gotten a little better but hasn't gone away completely after a week.
I did some water tests today. The water is really hard (425ppm)...only our hot water is softened. Our cold tap water is also above 425ppm. The pH is high (8.4) as is the total aklalinity. Nitrites and Nitrates seems to be ok but the test was hard to read. Ammonia was high (1ppm). And the water temperature is probably too hot (84...our programable thermostat for the house goes to 82 when we aren't home but rarely gets that hot, plus the tank has a light).
Since Abby's fish is ok, I am trying to figure out what the issue is.
My thought is that the medicine has probably caused the problem (Abby's fish got medicine but not as much) since it happened with the addition of more medicine. Or the water is too hot (although Abby's should be similar although I haven't checked). Or the conditions are off (although shouldn't have changed drastically in a day).
So the quesion is if the medicine burned him, how long to recover? Or how should we proceed to correct the tank? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
How large are these tanks? Small tanks are much harder to regulate temperatures. If they're larger tanks, and your household temp is set to 82, your tank is going to be a few degrees lower. You should get thermometers for both tanks. They're pretty cheap. Large fluctuations in temps or too high/low can cause problems. Bettas range from 76-82 ideally.

A picture of the affected would help. And the name of the product you are using. Different products have different instructions and doses, so there's no way to know if you're over doing it.

Your ammonia is too high so again.. what is the size of the tank? A small tank can't hold a cycle and needs frequent water changes.

#3 ·
Betta at top of tank

The tank is 2.5 gallons. I used Tetra Fungus Guard (one tablet per 10 gallons, cut it into fourths...although probably used the bigger piece as they weren't equal).

We had been doing 20% water changes each week. But have changed more frequently in the last week (2-3 times in a week).

Here is a picture (it is turned sideways)...he is vertical (not laying down) at the top with his nose in the corner and occassionally pops up a little (I think for more air).

The other fish is happy, interacting, eating and making bubble nets. His tanks is 82 degrees. The sick fish's tank is 84. Both tanks have lights which we turn on (but probably raises the temperature). Can we leave them off with the blinds in the room open (the tank doesn't seem well lit as it is 6-7 ft from the window). The house just started getting warmer over the weekend when the temperature here in Cincinnati got hotter.

Attachments

#4 ·
Well you can't hold a cycle in that kind of tank, so I would suggest 2 water changes a week, the first one 50% of the water, the second one 100% of the water. And get a siphon to clear out the rocks at the bottom. You'll have to work harder to keep the tank clean because it's so small.

The light might make it a little warmer, but if there is natural light in the room and the tank isn't in direct sunlight, he should be ok with the light off. Just watch his temp :)

He looks ok from the picture. How much is he eating? How often? And does he have any hiding places or decorations in the tank that could have hurt him. Plastic plants can have sharp edges. You can test them before you put them in, just run them over a pair of pantyhose and look for snags.

There is a chance he's just one of those fish that likes to be near the surface. Maybe a betta leaf hammock would make him happy? But to be on the safe side, get a good picture of the fungus if he still has it, and check his body for anything out of the ordinary. Spots, missing scales, scratches, growths. Check body, fins, mouth, eyes and gills.

Someone else might have more info and more help, I have to get some dinner, sorry!

#5 ·
He hasn't eaten in the last two days. Before that he loved his dehydrated shrimp...would keep eating until we stopped feeding him (we would feed him for about 2 minutes).

The staying at the top is a new behavior so I don't think it is his personality. He is swimming around more (but staying on the top) this evening. Yesterday he just stayed in the corner and wouldn't move even if I tried putting the net in to make him move, he would just sit there. So he is a bit more active today even if he looks like he is gasping for air.

The stuff on his face is actually less. And his color is better than yesterday. So hopefully he recovering.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone can give us some more insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.