Betta Fish Forum banner

2 SMALL WHITE DOTS ON HEAD. help please

541 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 ·
My betta has two small white dots one near his eye the other on the opposite side near his mouth. I recently switched him from a 2 gallon non filtered tank and moved him into a one gallon under gravel filter tank with a fake plant. I feed him BettaMin tropical medley once a day around the same time. He is eating but he will eat about 5 flakes and then spit some out. His activites seem normal to me but this is also my first betta. What should I be looking out for if he is sick? I'm scared he might have ich but how do i know for sure ? someone please reply

#2 ·
Ick will look like a sprinkling of salt. That may be it. Can you share photos?

More info too.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Flakes aren't good nutritional value, and especially with something this small they muck up the water quickly causing excess ammonia. You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.

IDK why you downgraded him.. but 2 gallons is minimum for keeping a betta..

#3 ·
If you could post a picture, that would be great.

First off, do you use aquarium salt in your water? If you do, your fish will never get ich. (However, there are some arguments that aquarium salt in every batch of water, or in tank water at all, is unnecessary. There are ways of keeping your fish healthy without salt. Your own judgement is best)

Second, you could try googling some pictures of ich and see how much that resembles what your fish has. If it is ich, it will last a week or more even with treatment. Don't get discouraged if it is ich, it's very treatable.

Keep up on your water changes for now (But watch out, some fish are easily stressed by water changes, especially fish in new environments), and be sure to pick up those flakes he spits out so it will not foul your water as quickly. If you don't have a waste remover (Looks like a turkey baster), you may want to get one (Partially to deal with ich, but in general it makes cleanup and water changes so much easier, and sometimes reduces the amount of stress your fish. But it is your decision, and water quality, as well as fish heath, arguably can be maintained without it).

Also, be careful with the gravel and the plant, if the plant is not silk. If your fish does have ich, he will try to scratch, and he may hurt himself. Gravel is notorious for that, as well as harsh plastic decorations. If your gravel looks rounded, then you should be okay.

Is your tank heated? You may want to get a heater, it aids in the healing process of ich, and maintains good general fish heath if you keep it consistent with the required temperatures for bettas.

Keep us posted, if it is ich I can offer you more advice.

I hope your fish gets better soon! :)

#4 ·
Using salt all the time when a fish is not sick will not help. It will just breed resistant infections, so when your fish does get sick you will not be able to use salt to treat them. Also using salt too long can lead to premature organ failure. It is not safe to use aquarium salt past 2 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.