Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #11731 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
You're not rambling at all! It is a back to the roots one, I had to take out the pump system since I couldn't get the smell of rotten betta off of it. I don't plan to get a filter only because this is actually a permanent QT tank, since late July Mesmer has had 5 fungal infections, velvet, fin rot, and 4 cases of popeye, so I'm constantly medicating the tank and doing enough water changes to crash a cycle. I shouldn't have bought such a sick fish.

I agree that the fish wouldn't be able to support plants on it's own, IF I were to use it properly with the setup I would have to find a way to have the plants on top in some sort of dirt with a fish safe fertilizer, which kinda makes the tank kinda pointless. The old owner didn't have any plants growing, she just got the tank on sale somehow. I also found out that she never actually ran the pump (even though she bought a scuba diver airstone) because of the noise, so it was basically being used as a big deathbowl. *sigh

Edit: in case you don't know by any other post I bought him with a fungal infection, he was in a 1.5g with bi-daily 100% water changes, now he gets a 100% change every 3 days)
I hope your guy pulls through and finally gets healthy! Its nice that you saved him from otherwise very soon death in the store.
As for media to use to grow plants in the top area -if you do plan to- look into expanded clay media. Its inert and porous, good for beneficial bacteria to grow on. Some people also use lava rock (safe because not in tank to shred fins) but I think the clay can be found for cheaper. I have a bag of PLANT!T clay media but I hahd to buy online (got in 'off season' of growing) so not sure if you can find it or simular locally. Hydroton use to be the major clay media but the company stopped producing it, some people are still selling off old stock though.
Yeh you'd probably need ferts depending on the plant (like aquatic plants some terrestrial ones have lower demands than others but usually less demanding=slower grower=takes less nitrates, I can't list any off the top of my head though) but good news: same ferts used for aquatic plants can also feed terrestrial plants grown with roots in tank water.
Though budget may be a problem I'd recommended a larger tank for quarantine. Even with frequent water changes, a larger tank means it takes longer for ammonia to start showing/rising as there's more water volume to dilute it. Also recommend Seachem Prime to safely bind ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours (in up to 5x dose) since there is no filter, its also a dechlorinator.
Anyways good luck!
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #11732 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
I hope your guy pulls through and finally gets healthy! Its nice that you saved him from otherwise very soon death in the store.
Though budget may be a problem I'd recommended a larger tank for quarantine. Even with frequent water changes, a larger tank means it takes longer for ammonia to start showing/rising as there's more water volume to dilute it. Also recommend Seachem Prime to safely bind ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours (in up to 5x dose) since there is no filter, its also a dechlorinator.
Anyways good luck!
Yeah, that's why I wanted the 3G instead of the 1.5. I do dose with prime and test pretty often
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #11733 
SplashyBetta

Watermelon's 10g:
SplashyBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #11734 
loveaBetta

3 tanks later

i started out with my Betta in a 1.5 cube then a 5 gallon hawkeye now my Betta in a 10 gallon i got used and it was loaded with snails so took a month to get ready and get rid of snails its been set up now 2 weeks and NO SNAILS when Fu Ma Chu passed i got a female her name is Lela now housed with 6 neons and 2 pepper corys

i also upgrated my ADF tank was in the 1.5 cube now in a 2.5 gallon Zen & Pen, stowaway snail
Attached Images

loveaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #11735 
Lergannn

I know many people on this forum are against WalMart due to their betta care. I got my bettas home at WalMart, and get my betta from Petco. I went into WalMart today with my friend to help her pick out a 3 gallon tank, heater, plants, a cave, and gravel. I looked at the betta fish and there was at least 50! They started using larger cups, they seem to be around 1 quart now, all the water was clean, and zero bettas were sick. Each one was bouncing around. I was impressed. So, look at WalMart for betta homes, I've noticed 3 of my local WalMarts (Boise Idaho area) have increased care for their betta fish. Though I'd share my experience!
Lergannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #11736 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lergannn, I don't think this is a place to start that discussion, you can make a new thread about it in the "Betta Care" section and it will get more views there ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank