Betta Fish Forum banner

The Crazy Cory Catfish Thread!

27K views 199 replies 34 participants last post by  MyRainbowBettaFish 
#1 ·
Share pictures videos and everything else about you cories!

I am getting 3 peppered cories soon, and i am very excited, since i just switched my gravel to sand!

I have hard, alkaline water with a ph of 7.8, but my LFS breeds cories in these conditions :) Anybody else successfully keep them in these conditions?

From Albino's to Bronze, And Emerald to Pygmy! Dont forget Peppered's and black too!
Share your pics! I will get mine in a couple of weeks!

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

START SHARING NOW!

#138 ·
ok, we got a problem. My one cory keeps burying himself under the sand for long periods of times, while my other one is super active and eating. The third one has stayed in the same place overnight but wheni touch both with the net, they get all hyper and happy for about 30 mins, then repeat the cycle. My ammonia is at zero, ph is stable, i have been feeding them...

I am doing a water change today though.
Any ideas? I really dont want to lose them.! I will put an algae wafer in there and see if it perks them up.

Thank you!

#139 ·
ok threw in an alage wafer an hour and a half ago, and those little pigs are as active and healthy looking as they can be! They are all on the wafer, sprinting around the tank and eating alage off my plants. Probably were just a lttle hungry! My tank is almost spotless!

#141 ·
When you look at them head on, they look like little bunnies. Underwater bunnies. Just without the ears and they have fu-man-chus ^^

At least I think they do XD

#147 ·
I think that's normal because my cories are not active for the most part. When I first had them, they were pretty active trying to get accustomed to their new surrounding. After that, they would like to sit there on the sand and do nothing. Sometimes they would swim to the top for air.

But during the night time when the lights are off, you see the cories more active swimming around in groups searching for food.

#146 ·
I used to have a cory cat named Buddy. He was the best! He would at first come to see me when he heard my voice and that was awesome! Later on, he would freak out. I don't know why he did that. Nevertheless, I loved him and was sad when he swam on. SIP Buddy.

#148 ·
I have 2 Albinos, who are absolutely crazy, if you open the lid they splash you when they "jump" to the top of the water level, My 2 peppered are relatively relaxed and hang out in the back with the peppermint bristle noses and my 2 Long fin pandas are sneaky little buggers when they want to be, they will be hiding in the driftwood until you go past them with the siphon and they make a bee line for your hand, scares me everytime. I did have 2 Jullii (I think thats what they are called) as well but unfortunately lost them when I got some very aggressive Widow Tetras which I then returned to the store

#150 ·
Ok some bad news. After the one started showing bad symptoms, i seperated it in a floating cup, and it passed the next day :( RIP. A couple of days later i have 2 SUPER RIDICUOUSLY active cories, refusing to stop swimming lol. Just this morning, my second corie repeatedly buried himself FULLY under the sand. I didnt see him, so i checked everything, untill i saw his tail sticking out of my sand, as he was head down tail up. I seperated him in the floating cup, and gave him a pellet which i dont think he touched. He is breathing VERY HEAVILY, like he ks oing to have a heart attack. He has been doing this for a while now, and im very concerned. My other corie doesnt seem to have a care in the world, is eating and growing fatter each day, and being active.

I am not sure what to do. My ph is stable, and ammonia is under 0.02 ppm.

The one that recently died looked like it could have had ich, but i couldnt really tell on its light plates.

to reduce disease should i do a 75% water change? Im REALLY WORRIED.

Thank you

#157 ·
No worries :)Ok, i usually feed them three days a week, but when i got them i was feeding them a bit more as they were skinny. My betta eats all the food i give to him, so my cories dont have much to eat from the sand. They do love eating the alage on my plants, though. Anyways, i feed them API Sinking Shrimp Pellets, which they wait till they break down before eating, as they are still about an inch. They LOVE the Hikari Alage wafers, which they get on occasion.
I am going to do a 50% water change to reduce any disease that might be in there.

UPDATE: I released the one cory i was holding because his symptoms and disease signs dissapeared, his breathing became normal, and he ate his pellet.
My two cories are schooling now, eating and being very active, with no obvious disease signs. My betta has learned not to eat their foodand to leave them alone, so he minds his own. He has been sleeping strangely though.

Thank you!:-D

Also, how fast do these guys grow?!?! The two that i have now seemed to have grown ALOT since when i got them. Also, yes, they are albinos so it is hard to look for ich.

As of right now, they are doing fine.

#160 ·
I got a weird question for Cori owners. Have any of your Cories suckled on your Betta's tail?

I caught Salt suckling on Kratos's tail when he's cat naps on the bottom of the tank. What is cute, Kratos just lays there until he gets annoyed by it and swims away. They have been feed well, so they can't be hungry to think a poor Betta's tail is a nice blood worm. I shooed him away to be safe.

#161 ·
I got a weird question for Cori owners. Have any of your Cories suckled on your Betta's tail?

I caught Salt suckling on Kratos's tail when he's cat naps on the bottom of the tank. What is cute, Kratos just lays there until he gets annoyed by it and swims away. They have been feed well, so they can't be hungry to think a poor Betta's tail is a nice blood worm. I shooed him away to be safe.
Nope, none of my Cory Cats have ever done that to any of my Bettas or to any of the other kinds of fish I have with them.

Does your Cory just slurp on the Betta's tail or is it biting off bits of tail too?

#164 ·
I ended up contacting my local aquarium store. One of my cories started acting odd and changed to a darker color as well as he stopped eating and became alienated from his companions soon after I got him.

I researched that as well as the red that appeared on his paler bottom side and I'm now treating the whole batch. I'm not taking any chances.

The aquarium store has offered to replace any that I lose, but with any luck I won't lose any. Seachems metro is some good stuff, if little guy starts eating again I can breathe a big sigh of relief.

#165 ·
UPDATE: Mt two cories are eating and are SO ACTIVE!! For albinos, i didnt think i would have them so active! They are getting bigger each day! I bought them at half an inch, and now they are like an inch! Maybe the other one that passed last week was intially sick...

#166 ·
Are cories nocturnal? I have three spotted cories but all they seem to do is hide beyond a pot in the corner ALL day. I have them in a 30 gallon along with one male betta for the time being. Once I get more money I'll be purchasing more cories and a pair of mated angelfish. The betta is in there just for the time being.

#167 ·
I'm not sure but from my experienced, they're more active at night and during the day, they tend to hide behind plants or under the driftwood. Every time i shined my flash light into the tank when it's pitch black, see the cories swimming all over the place in searching for food and such.

#168 ·
I bought my trio cories Omega 1 shrimp pellets yesterday. They LOVE them. They haven't stop doing laps for two days straight lol They only stop to rest and then back at it again. Crazy Cories. I'm happy they adopted Po. I tried getting another Panda Cori yesterday, but Petsmart didn't have any in stock :c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.