Betta Fish Forum banner

100% pure wild Splenden

10K views 62 replies 14 participants last post by  Setsuna 
#1 ·
This is a short video of my new wild Splenden. A true 100% pure splenden must look like this. Other splendens you see are shows and selected breed to get different varieties of colors and tail types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2aKcXd_k28

#4 ·
Might want to lock you doors and windows tonight and just to make things clear if any of your fish disappear in the middle of the night tanks and all it was NOT me! Lol.

#14 ·
OMG!!! For real? Let me tell you a little about wild bettas. There are 7 different types of wild bettas that belongs to the splenden complex group and they are Splendens, imbellis, mahachaiensis, smaragdina, guitar smaragdina, siamorientalis, and stiktos. Its call splenden complex group because Splenden wat the first found in the wild so that was the main name used they all are bubblenesters they call can be breed together creating wat you might see people call hybrids

#15 ·
No, they are much more peaceful then domesticated splendens you see at stores only but you still cant keep them together. Every betta from the splenden complex group will fight if you keep them together unless you have a big tank for each to mark a territory

#18 ·
There are different complexes that come under the genus of Betta and then within these complexes there are usually several different related species.

I believe species cannot interbreed outside their complex, and in some complexes interbreeding between related species is rare anyway.

#23 ·
if you have any of the wild splendens ready to go by the time we finally decide to move, I may have to procure some from you. I've been trying to hunt them down, and had NO luck!!

#29 ·
No, i dont plan to or ever will theres is nothing to gain nothing from have hybrids at least to me. If i wanted to breed show bettas then i could just buy show bettas to breed but i like to keep pure bloodlines. Sometimes crossing doesnt come out so good anyways and its always a guess on how the frys will turn out and if i keep it pure i'll always know how the frys will turn out and some babys will be much better looking then the parents but will still be pure thays wat i like best

#30 ·
The reason I'm interested in crossing wilds with domestics is for the bloodline. Specifically to make a stronger fish. I feel domestics have been bread together for so long that defects and immune deficiency is becoming more common. This is all just speculation and guess work but assuming you bread a wild caught, with a say... Domestic show quality hmpk with a good bloodline you could come out with a truly spectacular fish. I could be horribly wrong but I have a hunch, Mycobacterium are normally an opportunistic bacteria, for example m triplex is found in immunocomprized humans. You don't really hear about it otherwise. Mycos seems to be a relatively new thing in the betta world. Stragely enough it seems to target blue betta. What I'm speculating is ether inbreeding has made the species weaker, or the Mycos mutated. Both are very possible but I still have a hunch that it has to do with the bloodline. Which leads me to believe Mycos aren't infecting wilds because their immune system is stronger. Basementbettas is much more informed than me though and most def knows more than I do. So I'd like to know their opinion.

As for you not crossing I totally understand why you don't, and I think your wilds are awesome lol

#34 ·
There is natural selection in the wild. Humans have choice of selection... some occurs under the influence of alcohol. Historically some selection by the "blue bloods" were aimed at retaining the family money by inbreeding. Not a good outcome :(
Manmade selection brought us many dog breeds and also "super models"... I was always a dog fan,(!!!!) tho I always much preferred dogs breed for performance over looks, or conformation. Many true lines were lost forever. Be responsible and retain the real!! I'm done :)

#40 ·
I think if you are going to use a quality pure splendens to create hybrids, you should also be producing pure splendens as well. Splendens are at risk because of the threat of hybridism in the wild. Therefore, I think it's important that those people who get a pair of these fish should be doing the species a favour and try and preserve the pure strains through breeding.

If you are producing hybrids and selling them, you should state very clearly that the fish is not pure and what the particular crossing was. That way you avoid people purchasing a fish that they think is a wild splendens, and going out and breeding that fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.