Betta Fish Forum banner

The Crazy Cory Catfish Thread!

27K views 199 replies 34 participants last post by  MyRainbowBettaFish 
#1 ·
Share pictures videos and everything else about you cories!

I am getting 3 peppered cories soon, and i am very excited, since i just switched my gravel to sand!

I have hard, alkaline water with a ph of 7.8, but my LFS breeds cories in these conditions :) Anybody else successfully keep them in these conditions?

From Albino's to Bronze, And Emerald to Pygmy! Dont forget Peppered's and black too!
Share your pics! I will get mine in a couple of weeks!

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

START SHARING NOW!

#171 · (Edited)
Hey, I got a question. What's a sign of Cory cats mating? My cories been acting weird. I see 2 male chase a female and ended up flipping her over but im not sure if they're mating. After wrapping her, i see her kind of exhausted for a little bit. After that, she started rubbing her belly onto the glass of the fish tank.

Scratch the question...
Cories did mate. :-D

#173 ·
Hey, I got a question. What's a sign of Cory cats mating? My cories been acting weird. I see 2 male chase a female and ended up flipping her over but im not sure if they're mating. After wrapping her, i see her kind of exhausted for a little bit. After that, she started rubbing her belly onto the glass of the fish tank.

Scratch the question...
Cories did mate. :-D

Congrats! Make sure you keep an eye out for eggs on the glass. I wish mine would mate, but I will have to get another male to do so lol

#174 ·
Hey guys!

Woahh I haven't been on this thread in forever! I hope everyone's cories are doing great!!! Mac and cheese are doing amazing, I've had them both for about 8 months now and no problems have popped up! Praise the lord :) haha I attached a pic below and for once I got one of camera shy mac!! Pic isn't clear sorry! lol I enjoyed looking at all the new cory pics posted, these fish are surely adorable!

Attachments

#176 ·
Your cories should be in groups of 3+ of each species. Having 2 cories that are different species isn't recommend. They will be fine, but a bit lonely. My 4 Peppered Cories are very active with each other and enjoy their own species company.

#175 ·
To answer a question i noticed earlier, cories are diurnal. I forget the exact definition but i think it just means they are more active around dusk, even though they are active during the day too. to Google.

yup i was off. diurnal means active in the daytime. but cories are more active in the.evening
Posted via Mobile Device

#180 ·
I guess this is the thread to post cory cat questions. :)

I just got 4 false bandit corys (melini). I love the way they just bumble around the tank. And they are not intimidated at all by my betta, even when he tries to schmooze in on their food. Just adorable!

Anyways, my question. How much of a frozen bloodworm cube should I give my four? They got some today when my betta did, but I'm not sure if I gave them enough.

Another one- do they eat algae or biofilm? I've noticed that they sometimes go up and down my plants like my otos do. Are they actually eating, or just looking for food?

#181 ·
I've noticed my melini corys do that to my plants too, stopping occasionally to rest on the leaves. I think they're probably trying to find food, not sure if their mouths are capable of actually eating algae. I do see them eating decaying plant matter though!

As for bloodworms...I have my corys in a 29g tank and I usually give them a whole cube, sometimes two. I have 6 corys and 10 female bettas to feed though...

#182 ·
I think they're probably trying to find food, not sure if their mouths are capable of actually eating algae.
That's what I figured, but they put so much energy into it! I've even seen them go upside down on the underside of leaves. I think they've been watching my otos- the Baldwins (my corys) figure, hey, if the otos can find food that that way, maybe we can too!

Sounds like I should start giving them more bloodworms, then.

#189 ·
HEY GUYS!!

Im back! Turns out the one that i lost (4 weeks ago) was just weak to start with. my other cories are showing NO signs of diseases, my betta gets along with them fine, and they have grown SO MUCH! They are so adorable and love their alage wafers and shrimp pellets! Since i LOVE the Vampire diaries (LOL) their names (as of now) are Damon and Stefan but their nicknames are Gordo and Moby LOL LOL

two questions:

1)I AM getting a new filter soon, as my old top fin is finally going out. I was thinking an AquaClear? I heard they were good?.....

2) how can i reduce all this alage in my tank? I do have my tank by a window(stupid beginner mistake .-. ) but the curtain is always closed, but it just flourishes so fast! My cories eat the hairy alage, but there is SO MUCH. Ammonia is 0 and my ph is stable and constant.

EDIT: I forgot to say that Casper has completely marbled and is now black, and Honeycomb is turning Black/blue! He still is yellow mostly, though! :D

#191 ·
Every time, without fail, that I feed the Baldwins (my 4 melinis) they always push all the food into one corner. There will be one scarfing at all the food, and 3 others desperately trying to get to it. What the heck!? I love these guys, but I'm thinking they're not the brightest crayons in the box. Or maybe one of them is a pig and diabolically clever.

Does this happen to you guys? Got any tips for feeding?

#194 ·
One of my melinis finally learned (the hard way) to stop messing with my assassin snail! They treat the poor snail like he's a soccer ball, kicking him around with their barbels. Well, one of the Baldwins started nosing the Emperor (my assassin snail) and he decided he'd had enough. He shot out that appendage thingy that he uses to eat snails with and hit the Baldwin with it. The Baldwin reared up and did that stunned/freeze thing corys do when freaked out. I'm wondering if the Emperor actually stung him- I'm not sure exactly how thy kill their prey.

We'll see if the Baldwins learn their lesson! What goofballs!

#195 ·
I have two peppered cory cats. I have very hard basic water due to limestone deposits. The water up here really is just supper for snails, calcium gets everywhere.

But any way, my little guys are doing great. I don't see a problem with them thriving in that water. They are mostly from brazil, I don't know what there water is like down there. But something tells me corry cats are just as hearty as our betta friends.

I am sitting on the fence about getting two emeralds or two panda's there so cute, and they play really nicely with my upsidedown catfish.

#196 ·
Algae problems are usually helped with live plants. if there are plants growing healthy, they should out compete the algae for nutrients.

i find i have worse algae issues when my cycle has been screwes up for some reason.

In other news, my cories are all going strong! I got a video of them eating with Hoover my bristlenose pleco. i will get a link!
Posted via Mobile Device

#198 ·
I had a tragedy in the tank today. I finally sat down at my PC desk and notice one of the BN is eating something white in the corner of the tank. I looked to see what the heck it was eatting and I was in horror to see it was feasting on Salt's carcass. I have no idea how he died when he was in perfect condition this morning swimming around with this mate. I felt soo bad for Pepper now her mate is gone u-u I don't know when I can get more cories to make a happy shoal for her. They were such a cute pair.

#199 ·
Update: The cories are doing great! Yesterday while cleaning my tank though, i poured the clean water in too fast and jacked up one of my little albino's sense of direction and swim bladder :( I put him in a cup and then he righted himself-talk about a mini heart attack! These little guys are so hardy, love them to bits!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.