Betta Fish Forum banner

Dividing a 40 gallon long tank?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  fishy314 
#1 ·
I want to cut down on number of tanks in operation while in college. So I was thinking, for a few males, a 40 gallon long tank and dividing it into eight parts with glass or acrylic. The dimensions of a 40 gallon long is 48" x 12" x 16". That would be eight 5" x 12" x 16" segments. My question is, would that be okay for the bettas? Or would the space too tight? Would 16" be too much for them to swim to the surface to breath?

#3 ·
Why would he need a bigger tank?...it's a 40 gallon long that he's dividing...each section would be about 5 gallons each...IMO I think that's plenty for a single betta...I have a 10 gallon divided in 3. I say go for it!!! Good luck setting it up and please do post pics.

#5 ·
I would have loved to have thought of having such a setup when I was in college :)

#6 ·
Well, it's still not too late... ;)

It won't be actually in the dorm with me since my school has a 2 gallon limit on tanks. /: It'll more be just to make it easier on my gf's grandparents who will be taking care of most of our fish (and our two cats). My gf now has two one gallons, two five gallons, and two ten gallons scattered throughout her house. That's a lot of tanks for them to be treading up and down the stairs to feed and clean.

#7 ·
Be cautious about buying used tanks off of CL.

Hard to tell if they're in decent condition until you actually see them in person.

A lot of the larger tanks I've seen for sale are slightly abused. The people who are selling them store them in the basement/garage for years and then eventually try to get rid of them. While there are some legitimate sellers out there, you always have to be wary of the people who sell tanks that should be TRASHED.

Here's an example of a 100+ gallon tank someone sold last month. See anything that might concern you in this photo?

Anyway, a 40G would be plenty of room, dividing it might require a bit of work, but 16" wouldn't bother a HEALTHY betta whatsoever.

As long as their water is relatively clean, free of other invading fish, & they get food at regular intervals, Bettas don't seem to care.

#8 ·
Would 16" be too much for them to swim to the surface to breath?
Please, people, NEVER even consider that. Bigger is ALWAYS better in the fish tank world.

40 gallon divided is a great idea. Do post pics and accept my congrats of not buying the stupid 0.3 gallon cubes! The bettas will love their new home. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.