Betta Fish Forum banner

new to bettas

976 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shinybetta 
#1 ·
I am thinking about making my spare 20 gl a community tank with 1 male betta as the focal point. I plan on planting rather heavily with caves on the bottom, a cave in the middle of the tank (suction cupped to the side of the tank) and a cave at the top (also suctioned) I went on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor according to that suitable tank mates would be

1 african dwarf frog
5 trapdoor snails
5 kuhli loaches

I am new with bettas and still doing some research. Whom better to ask about compatibility then those who have been keeping them for years.

I know they eat meats; brine shrimp, black worms, blood worms ect. but do they also eat beef heart? I have a freezer full of meaty treats for my large tank and was wondering if I had to get anything different from.

#2 ·
I would not put the African dwarf frog in. They aren't the best swimmers and 20 gallons is quite big. And they need to be kept in pairs. Kuhli loaches need sand or very soft substrate (no gravel). Are you sure you don't want any other fish? Neon tetras would look great with the betta!

#4 ·
Thank you for the feed back. I love neon tetras and I agree they would look great. I had read that any brightly colored fish would provoke the betta, so I had written it off. So now I am back to thinking about them. I'll discard the ADF from this tank and plan them in another future build. Do any of your bettas prefer any plants in particular? I know my balas prefer amazon swords, the guppies love frog bit and my neons like anarcharis and other tall leafy plants.

I'm thinking a red betta would really stand out in the green foliage and the blue of the neon tetras.

#5 ·
Mine love anacharis. if it is tall enough that it bends over on the waters surface, they will lay on it so they can reach the surface to breathe easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.