Betta Fish Forum banner

Male/Female divided tank? Opinions?

874 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
So over time I've heard a lot of hearsay about male/female divided tanks and how it might stress out the male. Anyone out there have any information or such a tank themselves?

I bought a baby male betta a bit a go to go in my 29 divided and as he's growing out in the 3 gal [until the 29 is ready] I'm starting to think he 'might' actually be a she. He might also just be showing juv traits.

At any rate I would like to get some opinions/advice on the matter in case the cutie really is female in the end.

#2 ·
I've got a divided 10 gallon with a male and female in it... So far, no real problems. The only differences I've noticed are that my female's belly is larger than usual, which I'm going to blame eggs for. My male has gotten used to his tankmate, only flaring occasionally. He spends most of his time tending to the biggest bubble nest I have ever seen any of my males build. I'm guessing it's all due to pheromones being released into the water... It causes changes, but it doesn't seem to be causing stress.

I have however heard stories of one jumping over a divider in order to mate. Some members have posted threads about waking up to eggs.

In the end, in my opinion it's alright to house them in a divided tank together, but I would be cautious and watch them closely, especially for the first couple of weeks.

#3 ·
In my case, my female got stressed out when she egged up but couldn't spawn. My male was happy as a lark bubblenesting but my female egged up and then got very depressed and moped in a corner. This happened to four different females and each time, it took less than a week for them to get affected this way. Three of the females dropped their eggs and were fine afterward, but the fourth got slightly eggbound. I'm not sure if this is common or if I just have especially moody girls. Nearly everyone else I've talked to has not had this problem so I tend to think it's just my girls. If you do keep a female with your male in the divided tank, I would be interested in hearing how her behavior is after a week.

You can lower the water level so there's about an inch of divider without water, this helps eliminate the jumping over problem.

#4 ·
I tried it too - hoping that it would stop the male from tail bitting. It didnt seem to make a difference to either fish but I took him out to do another round of salt treatment and put another female in his place.

#5 ·
Assuming my divider comes in with the right dimensions jumping shouldn't be a problem since there is almost no room between the lid and the divider. Not enough for a fish to get through anyways.

I'm still hoping my fish is a boy but if he's a she then hopefully the tank being divided won't be too much of a problem lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.