Betta Fish Forum banner

Fish Matching again for my girlfriends tank

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Vampure 
#1 ·
My girlfriend has a slightly spastic betta in a 10 gallon tank. It has an air stone and a filter and after Christmas will have the rest of it's decorations. It's a crowntail so it's a bit more flowy than my Mo Mo (veiltail) so, along with the more attractive tail (for fish to attack) and slightly spastic personality (sometimes happy and calm, other's off the wall and slightly aggressive), we have a different problem as far as compatible fish for her tank. I was wondering what some suggestions would be for her fish. (Btw, I'm asking for her cause her comp is a lil slow sometimes) He's such a pretty fish and deserves something to go in there that'll be nice to look at but not outshine him. Again, just as mine, it'll be after Christmas that the fish are added. Thanks so much.

#6 ·
I'm thinking some pygmy cories. They occupy the bottom area so they are less likely to upset your betta. Mine loved regular cories. Danios are super hyper and will probably provoke an attack from the betta that you described. They may also nip fins. That is another reason that I like cories-you know they won't nip your betta's fins. Cories need sand though....

#7 ·
I agree. I'm getting ready to stock a betta tank with pygmys. Danios are crazy! I have one lone danio in my 100gl. He was used as a cycling fish and the nutball schools with my torpedo barbs. He's about one inch and they are four inches and he looks comical doing this. As big as the barbs are they seem bothered by his constant hyperness. He messes with the barbs gentle schooling by swimming all herky jerky in & around the barbs. If I felt I could remove him without having to break down my tank I would. Definitely nix the danios!!

#8 ·
Thank you'll for the advice. My girlfriend is really happy bout the yes on the neons. She loves em. Sadly both of the bottoms of ours are gravel so cories are unfortunately out. I was looking at them for my tank actually. I like the look of some of em but they wouldn't do well in either of our tanks. My next tank (whenever I get it) will most deff have sand as the sub though. I guess we're gonna try tetras in both of our tanks though and see how it goes. Wish us luck. I'll try and give an update for each of our tanks as we add em. :)

#11 ·
I did some reading on Cardinals and Black Neons. Black Neons would likely fit better in the tank so she can get more of em in there (and I may use em in mine, the look really cool) since they only grow to 1.5" or so whereas the Cardinals grow closer to 2". Thanks for that about the diff tetras. It made me look which will most likely save fish and money in the long run. Thanks from both of us.

#12 ·
Here's the breakdown on what she got for her tank, all of which were left in a net to see how the betta would react b4 putting them in open water; neon tetras (It attacked the one she put in open water, all three died over night, very sad), a zebra danio (The betta eyed the tank like it was gonna eat it if it ever got the chance. It was moved to a different tank), 4 guppies (which for some unknown reason other than a different personality for this betta are all doing well last time I checked as of yesterday when I was at her house), and a black something or another that won't get big supposedly... I can't remember the name of it, anyway (It bit the betta once, the betta bit it once, and now they're the best of friends). Weird tank combo but hey, so far it works. I'll tell u mine really fast as well; guppies (they never were taken out of the net, my betta was attacking the net and I gave them to my girlfriend, hence her having 4), neon tetras (3 died while still in the net, and after the third one died, Mo Mo was moved to my 5 gal tank and Mu was moved to the ten gal tank where I released the remaining 3 tetras [one died later for some unknown reason, I'm guessing one of the other neons or maybe just weak] and the remaining 2 are doing well), 6 glowlight tetras (released with Mu as well and are schooling with the neons [which I'll get more of after Christmas] and are doing well also). That's the breakdown of our bettas tankmates. Sry it got so long winded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.