Betta Fish Forum banner

New to the Forum, Have an interesting Story and two question

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Flashygrrl 
#1 ·
Hi eveyone I am new here had my Betta, Merlin, for about two weeks, nice birthday gift to myself. Anyways I was doing my morning feed for him and his tankmates and as usually observing the feeding frenzy that occurs. Only this time I notice Merlin was extremely dark his color were so radiant that he looked like a different fish. I notice him kinda swimming in place looking at the substrate for about a minute, I thought he was just taking a break for eating to fast or something, but then all of a sudden he flared out and totally owned one of the little snails in the tank.

I guess my question is have bettas been known to go after snails or was this a random occurance? And secondly i have a plakat betta but am now not sure if it is a HM plakat since this time when he flare his tail extended to what looked like 180 degree, a bigger extension than I have ever seen him do before

#3 ·
"Totally owned one of the little snails..." LOL that about describes it! :lol: Sorry for the snail though. :(

How neat about the HM/Plakat Possibility...but I do think that Plakats sometimes have a very big fin radius...I may be wrong.

Just got a HM myself from hubby for my Birthday! YAY!

z-fish

PS...name him SYLAR...Hee Hee...(if you are into Heroes)

#4 ·
sorry about the snail :( all bettas are different and have a different level of tolerance for tankmates, some are just more peacefull or more agressive than others, their colors can change after you bring them home if they are still growing, or just the improvemend in water temperature and quality.
if he is a hm, its not a matter of how long the tail it its the width of it, if he is a hm it will be ATLEAST 1/2 circle when its flaired

this one is a hm plakat
http://ebetta.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/yellow-dragon-betta-fish.jpg

#5 ·
It cool there are plenty more snail in the tank with them that I dont mind Merlin acting as the snail police, especially if it keeps their population in check. As far as him being a HM it is hard to tell cause when he flared this morning his tail was a half circle but that is the first time I even noticed him flaring it to that extent normal it will look like a large triangle.

Is it common for their colors to change with their mood and not just according to water parimeters. Cause I notice that when he is excited his colors are dark and rich (especially during feeding time) and when he is calm and just swimming gently they are a little lighter.

I need to go buy some test strip to test out the water but all of the fish and plants have been thriving so i really havent been to concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.