Betta Fish Forum banner

infusoria

1K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  alysalouise 
#1 ·
From lettuce?
How do you go about this?
Like step by step, and how long before spawning should i prepare this?

I want to start my fry off with infusoria just in case my BBS dont hatch in time
so any info would be wonderful!

#2 ·
Good post. I am trying to make Infusoria. I think I did it wrong, it doesn't seem right. Hope someone replys with good information

#7 ·
I definetly agree with you alysalouise... I have no idea what I am doing or if I am doing it right. I hope so but there is no way of knowing unless someone who does know what theyre doing (has done it) helps...
I have also heard a turnip piece in water in the sun works. Not sure how true this is. Not sure how long it'd take until the infusoria is ready...
Just wish someone would give a little more detailed info..

#9 ·
lol.. I love the rain :D
Well as far as I knew you just got some dirty tank/ river water and added a piece of lettuce and sat it in the run/ under a lamp.
But I really do not know. I am too scared mine will be bacteria mroe so than infusoria

#10 ·
I hate it with a passion
I've lived in WA my entire life, and still wear a coat pretty much year round, the summers arent hot enough, and the winters have to much rain and not enough snow
But anywho
Hopefully its just that easy, Im just missing a bucket.... Lol, and i gotta see if there isany lettece somewhere in the fridge lol

#11 ·
This is the Info i got from another fourm i use
Hope this helps

Here you go.
Infusoria
It's fairly easy to make.
Tank water, lettuce, cover and put in the sun.
In a few days you'll have green.
You'll most likely need to strain it.
Oh and it stinks!
Can a lamp work? Its not sunny here, we've hit the rainy season, and if i do it in a jar and put a lid on it will i be able to smell it? or only when i open up the jar?
And what do you mean strain it? lol
When you open the jar it will stink. (Hold your nose!)
I used sunlight, not sure if a lamp ill provide enough warmth and light.
The lettuce will break down, get soft and fall part.
Just all around nasty.
Pour it through a coffee filter to catch all the nasty stuff.

#12 ·
#13 ·
I agree being in seattle area we need more snow... any case I wish I could help I grow it on my plants and in my tanks...
How to Breed Tropical Fish: How to cultivate Infusoria
here is a good site
Betta Listserv - Infusoria
and another
also I would check with OFL she would know the best I would pm her

Haha ya, a few years ago we got alot of snow, the power at my house was out for a few days to a week, but our table outside had about half a foot of snow on it so we put all our food from the fridge/freezer out there so it stay cool and the dogs couldnt get it

But i think i have an idea about how to go about it now
I just need my dad to drop off an old lamp of mine so i can get it close enough to the jar to keep it warm enough
But thank you :)

Im just making sure i will be able to have everything ready so i can spawn my CT and HM together :)
Im waiting on the sponge filter to come in the mail and then i just need a few more jars and i'll be able to do it when i feel im ready :)

#14 ·
I filled a bucket with old tank water when I cleaned my tank. I added a piece of lettuce and put it in the sun. It has now been out there for 6 days and to me it is not murky but just dirty. I can see a build up of something on the bottom and the lettuce is only just starting to get that rotting look. Im not sure its correct.
I have been told that you can get a drop of the water, put it on a piece of glass and use a microscope to check out if there are microorganisms. I still dont understnad how you can tell which is good and which is bad.

#16 ·
Haha yeah hope so too o_O I did it the ways I found, different ways. A dried piece of aquarium plant or even dried leaves. didn't work... no smell, no green. just eeww. The lettuce in water, and in sunlight/warmth. Again...no green, smells like lettuce... just a bit of cloudy-ish water that I don't know is either infusoria or bacteria!

#18 ·
Well.. I think I will empty my bucket of grossness out and start again this afternoon.. How long is it supposed to take before its ready?

#19 ·
i guess just a few days, you can do it in a jar in a window seal, just put plastic wrap over it and a rubber band to hold it there and once the water is a green color, use a coffee filter to filter out the icky stuff and the other stuff should be the Infusoria

Edit....
This is from one of the links that Creat provided
"To obtain infusoria, you take a handful of hay or dry leaves and place it into a jar, fill the jar with water from your tank or a pool of water. Leave in the sun for a few days. When the water just starts to get cloudy large unicellulars have sufficient bacteria to feed upon. Once the water begins to clear again, an appropriate culture is available. You can then extract these creatures, with a turkey baster, for example, for feeding to your fry."

#22 ·
Right there with you lol, its been raining and wind storms here for like 2 weeks, and them BAM sun today lol, stupid sun just woke me up, but i guess i should of gotton up already anyway since its almost 3 now lol
But ya, im going to have to use a lamp too

OH and use a strainer not a coffee filter.....

#24 ·
... So my batch, of lettuce is breaking down -gag- smells bloody awful. I have it covered to keep in warmth. It's slimy on the sides of the container... And the water is cloudy. so, that's the bacteria starting? And is it that it needs light, or warmth, or both to work?? My fry won't take to dilluted egg yolk but they are fine with the micro-food. just... more infusoria would be nice too.

#25 ·
Im pretty sure its just the warmth
So if im thinking right, when it starts to clear up again thats when you will hav e infusoria?

Lol I know the sun was not expected and retarted cause it was freezing freaking cold in the morning :(
Lol I didnt know it was cold this morning, I slept in until 2 lol, thats when the sun was in my face and making me to hot, sucks cause my room is in the front of the house, so i get direct sunlight the ENTIRE day
All those fish tank heaters, plus my snakes heat, PLUS the sun= a VERY HOT room lol

#26 ·
I hope so! still... IT SMELLS!!! lol. lid stays on til then! and if it is just warmth, my room is definitely perfect. I have my room heated nice and warm... for me AND the fishies :)

Yeah most of my fry are willing to take the micro-food, some don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.