Betta Fish Forum banner

PLEASE HELP, I Don't Want To Lose Another...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Drift 
#1 ·
HI =) I just bought my first CrownedTail Betta on July 30th as a "pet" for my son's 2nd birthday, (YES, I knew I would be Mr. RedBeard's caretaker & to ALWAYS keep his tank in a safe place, out of reach of my son).

I bought Mr. RedBeard from PetCo along with:
~~ an Aqueon MiniBow 1gal desktop aquarium kit, which included;
~ a quite-flow power filter with 1 filter cartridge
~ an aquarium light hood with a 7-watt incandescent bulb
~ 1 trail-sized packet of Aqueon Betta food
~ 1 first & second use tap-water conditioner/treatment
I also purchased for Mr. RedBeard’s tank:
~~ a 2lb bag of red, pink & purple gravel rock's
~~ a 6oz bottle of concentrated conditioner and tap-water treatment
~~ gold standard betta pellet's
~~ 2 small plant's
~ 1 lotus-style so he could lay on it
~ 1 small neon pink soft-foxtail (which I trimmed down) for decoration & to bring
out his beautiful blue, green, teal & maroon color's & dark red/maroon whisker's
(which was where his name came from)
~~ and lastly a net to use if needed to take Mr. RedBeard out if needed when I cleaned his tank and
replaced the filter.

Through this entire process my husband and I had a FISH-sale’s associate with us helping to ensure we had everything we needed for Mr. RedBeard’s good health and long, happy life. This morning I awoke when my son did, went into his room to get him up and Mr. RedBeard was dead. His eye’s were bulged out with a white film covering his entire face. About four or five days before I noticed above where the light bulb was there was an indent in the plastic that looked like the bulb was melting it. I did turn the bulb off that night & decided to leave it off at night from then on. Last night as I was feeding Mr. RedBeard I did notice his eyes were bulged and they appeared to be capped like, you would see with a molting snake.
I tried repeatedly to call PetCo, but got no answer. This morning, after finding him dead, I called PetCo finally getting an associate. I attempted to tell them what had happened, that I wanted another Betta. They would not listen to me so I had my husband talk to the associate, he told them the same thing’s that I had and they told him the tank may have malfunctioned and we could bring in our tank, a water sample with Mr. RedBeard in it and they would replace everything.
What I want to know is, is there anything I can/should do differently???? Any advise would be useful & Thank you soooo much in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
To me it sounds like it was the tank melting issue that probably melted some chemicals into the fishes water and it poisoned him. If i were you I'd change the lightbulb next timet o a fluorescent. They tend to produce less heat than the incandescent.
And as for the tank a 2G is probably better for the fish since it's a little bigger for him to swim and all plus it makes things easier since you dont have to do as many water changes.

#8 ·
I had an incident were the hood I bought had incandescent lighting. Tank's water parameters where good. Popped my Betta in, he was ok for an hour. Cam home 6 hours later to him on his side gasping. Touched the water and it was warmer than bath water. The hood almost cooked my poor boy. :( I never recommend them because of this encounter. I think this possibly could be the culprit of the water being to hot.
I would return the melted one and replace the light with a fluorescent bulb. I'm sure your betta would appreciate a larger tank if possible. Check craigslist, I've found several 10 gallons under the free section. Make sure you do multiple water changes weekly with a dechlorinator to keep the ammonia levels down too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.